No announcement yet.

Cut and come again veggies!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VC, you've obviously got your peas & beans in mind plus 1 or 2 courgettes............
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 25-01-2013, 07:50 AM.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Beetroot and turnip can be planted closer together and eat them small. Eventually you'll be left with the bigger ones and you can keep them going for their baby leaves?

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
        Beetroot and turnip can be planted closer together and eat them small. Eventually you'll be left with the bigger ones and you can keep them going for their baby leaves?
        As with onions I would guess.......
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I have leeks that grow back called poireau perpetuel. They're quite'skinny but they seem to be filling up their alloted space quie nicely and they taste good.

Comment

VC, you should try out the early mizuna and mibuna that I sent in the VSP. 2 of each is all you need for months of delicious, crispy cut and come again salad leaves. They are the quickest growing for me. You can also stir fry the older leaves. I got the seeds from real seed catalogue.

Comment

I loved Zaz's idea for easy care, cut and come again celery in flower buckets... definitely trying this!

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1073886
              http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I read an Internet post which claimed you could simply cut back spring onions and they would re-shoot and produce a lot more green onion stem for the kitchen. I tried it but they just died. Has anyone tried this successfully? I prefer bunching onions which you can thin out and allow to grow back.

Comment

Originally posted by BertieFox View Post
                  you could simply cut back spring onions and they would re-shoot ... Has anyone tried this successfully?
                  Yes, I do it. With leeks too.

*thought: make sure it's a non-bulbing onion, and don't cut into the root area. Cut just a bit above the root plate
                  Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-01-2013, 07:04 PM.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Is 'Tree Cabbage' or 'Paul and Becky's Asturian Tree Cabbage' the same as Chou d'Aubenton... or Daubenton's Kale, which we grow in France. It's a perennial cabbage or kale which makes a massive plant three feet or more across. You propagate it from set stem cuttings and it makes no viable seed. Gives a mass of young shoots all year round but is best for cut and come again shoots in spring. Definitely get a plant if you can. While the old plant might die if neglected, you can keep it going all the time by taking new cuttings every year. They root almost as you watch!

Comment

I have Daubenton's Kale seeds this year from the HSL and we had a discussion on here about whether or not it could produce/be grown from seed. I certainly hope it can. I want to grow several different kales this year, especially the tall ones - a sort of kale forest
                      Another one is Portuguese cabbage, also from the HSL, that may be the same as the Tree cabbage. I'd like to get hold of cuttings but I'll try them from seed too.

Comment

Portuguese cabbage - that's couve tronchuda isn't it?

They have seed here Fresh Seeds Portuguese kale Couve Tronchuda Portuguesa - fresh from Portugal | eBay

Comment

I had the seeds from HSL last year, Thelma I'm determined that this is going to be the year of the Big Brassicas

Comment

True Daubentons kale is definitely sterile, so seeds are probably the result of a cross. I've read about some American experiments in crossing it with calabrese or broccolis to try to get other brassicas that would grow easily from cuttings and adopt a more or less perennial habit. Good luck with your seed, as this is a super plant for greens at a time of year when there is little else.

Comment

Thanks Bertie. Photos of my kale forest will be on here at the end of the year

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                Photos of my kale forest will be on here at the end of the year
                                Which varieties you aiming at, VC? I get confused about kale, is it defined as a cabbage that doesn't form a head? But then "Walking Stick Cabbage" is listed as a kale too.... Your favourite suppliers Pennards lists it as such (and another 9 varieties), see:
                                Seeds, Eclectic Victorian Vegetable Seed from Pennard Plants

There seems to be several names for the same variety, as discussed in 2008...:
                                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ies_12304.html

Some good tips on how to get your walking sticks (as well as mountains of kale) at:
                                Walking Stick Kale

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X