No announcement yet.

Paper pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Zaz that's a great little tutorial, I tried it out and after a little bit of confusion I now have some cute paper boxes!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post

I use this design [shameless plug]

The Linear Legume: paper pot design
      I like those paper pots because they are square and you can fit them in a tray better and quite steady once filled. I have been using newspaper wrapped around a tube, but I will try these this year. Thanks for the link.
      Proud Member of the Celery Stalk Nutters Club
      www.annesgardeningdiary.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by horticultural_hobbit View Post
        Granny Flo, I recommend my pot maker, from that tinterweb shop that is named after that bunch of strong ladies from South America and their forest. Reckon you could get your GG's to set up production line fairly well.
        I can make those with a glass HH, but I will have a look. The GGs complained about the print on their hands from newspaper - girlies!
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfeet View Post
          I like those paper pots because they are square and you can fit them in a tray better and quite steady once filled
          If you fold your loo rolls twice vertically and store about 5 inside one of them, they end up square instead of round and fit nicely into plastic supermarket mushroom containers.
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by MyLifeWithAndrew View Post
            I read of this last year and have been saving loo rolls since.
            Thanks for the advice on which seedlings to put in them.
            I don't find loo rolls that good, I was talking about my little newspaper pots which I make using a wooden former. Personally I think that loo rolls can come into their own for long rooted stuff like beans but even if I saved them all year then I'd still not have enough for the amount of beans I want to grow so I prefer to use reusable root trainers for them and the little pots for chillies etc. I suppose you could cut loo rolls in half for chillies, toms etc but I'd not like them full depth as it would make it difficult to sink them deep into the next size pot if I let them get leggy.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I don't like loo rolls because if you let them dry out ( which I quite often do) they seem to be really hard to rehydrate and by that time the plant is suffering. Newspaper is a bit more forgiving.
              Proud Member of the Celery Stalk Nutters Club
              www.annesgardeningdiary.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't like loo rolls because if you let them dry out ( which I quite often do) they seem to be really hard to rehydrate and by that time the plant is suffering. Newspaper is a bit more forgiving.
                Yes, I find that too

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I find loo rolls fall apart i.e glue come undone when wetand just unravels it self or is it me
                  come on in take a seat time for tea

Comment

I'm eagerly anticipating, the paper pots are sat in the heated prop, looking very sorry for themselves. Wet though.
                    Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

I don't get a free newspaper where I live and we don't buy one so newpaper pots a no go for me. I've saved a lot of egg cartons though, although from what I'm reading, they may suffer from dehydration in the same way as described above from loo rolls. Does anyone else save egg cartons?

I've also been saving 500ml yog pots, although only the clear yeo valley ones as I wanted to use them for cloches (no 2L drinks bottles, we don't drink any pop). But I'll save all of them now, along with mushroom tubs.

As a total grow-your-own newb, I'm just gathering info and it seems from above that paper pots are good for
                      -pes, beans, beetroot
                      -not peppers (but maybe chillis?)
                      -Not courgettes (and therefore maybe not summer or winter squash?)

Comment

Paper pots and the like are fun recycling projects. You won't get as good results though as you will from using made-for-purpose plastic modules and plant pots.

And I say that as a committed, yogurt-knitting deep-green tree hugger
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I like those paper pots because they are square and you can fit them in a tray better and quite steady once filled. I have been using newspaper wrapped around a tube, but I will try these this year. Thanks for the link.
                          Try this one as well...I only use these for beans and peas.

The Linear Legume: Using loo roll insides
                          Last edited by zazen999; 20-01-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            Paper pots and the like are fun recycling projects. You won't get as good results though as you will from using made-for-purpose plastic modules and plant pots.

And I say that as a committed, yogurt-knitting deep-green tree hugger
                            well precisely, I already have egg cartons, loo rolls, mushroom tubs and yoghurt tubs and I don't really want to buy the plastic purpose built stuff... I guess If I'm going to use them over and over I can consider it an investment.

I had thought the idea was the cardboard is better than modules because you can plant it straight into the soil and not damaging the roots of seedlings?

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit View Post
                              I had thought the idea was the cardboard is better than modules because you can plant it straight into the soil and not damaging the roots of seedlings?
                              I can get seedlings out of modules without damaging the roots

Yes, using a biodegradable pot does allow you to plant "straight out". The problems are that the pot can start to biodegrade/collapse/go mouldy during use (they're great for things that don't need to be in a pot for very long).

At school, they always use these recycled items, because it's good to learn what you CAN use if you've got no money or equipment.
                              Use what you've got. I'm not trying to put you off, I'm simply offering an alternative, and a point of view. An opinion. My experience.
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Plant pot from a toilet roll - YouTube

Saw a pic of a loo roll with slits in the bottom so the flaps were folded up like you do when you re-shut a box. Can't find it now but found the above little vid instead! Cute!

SimplyForties: Making Toilet Paper Roll Seed Starter Pots
                                Last edited by alldigging; 21-01-2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X