No announcement yet.

anyone sowed their habaneros yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moopmoop - I suspect that if you sow within the next week or so, then by the time they germinate, they will probably be fine on a warm windowsill that gets as much light as possible, as the days are getting longer now.

I sowed mine today, and when they germinate, I will cram as many as possible under the grow light, then the rest will be on my daughters bedroom windowsill, as this gets the most light.

Small blue planet - nah it's not too early! Besides, chillies take ages to grow. Sooner the better I say!!!!!

Comment

Ooh chilli grower, I've some chocolate hab seeds that are calling to me!
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Orwell View Post
        Setting up lights? As in UV ones? By the looks of it, i might have to purchase a wee heated prop as my chillies are saying they need around 24c. My house isn't that warm!
        Not UVs, just 3 30watt CFL lamps - daylight colour rather than warm colour - that I've attached on a batten above the propagator.

Used them for the last 3 years just to get chillies off a little earlier without going leggy. From March they go out from the lights into ChilliGrow planters in the conservatory and I'm usually cropping some of the faster growers like Cherry Bombs by the end of May/early June.

Comment

CFL's - that;s what I use. I have a single 65 watt daylight lamp.

Very economical to run, gives off very little heat, and very reasonably priced.

Comment

I sowed mine on new years day, 5 different types of hab and some cheyenne and jalapenos. About 400 seeds altogether not sure where I will put them all... Lol

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

I've sown White and Mustard Habs, also some Tabasco, Cherry Bomb, Aji Lemon, Jalapeno and a couple of Ghost Bhut Jolokia (sp?). Not a chili eater myself, but the OH loves them and I like growing things, so it all works nicely

Comment

there have been a lot sown then.

It will be interesting to see how we all get on...

I have created a photo album in my profile, in this album I will put pics of my plants as they progress...

Comment

Today I sorted out space on my chest of drawers in the bedroom for my heated propagator. I've sown Chocolate, peach, orange, mustard and red habaneros, fatalli, dorset naga, hot thai, red scotch bonnet, hot banana, nigel's outdoor and sante fe grande. The last 3 grow more quickly than the others, but I couldn't find my main chilli seed stash and needed to fill up the propagator. 82 seeds planted, but if they all grow I will be selling some on.
                  More will go in when I find my other seeds.
                  Last edited by BarleySugar; 02-01-2013, 08:18 PM.
                  I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                  Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sowed the first wave of my seeds on Sunday
                    Bhut Jolokia
                    Bengal Naga
                    Dorset Naga
                    Orange Hab
                    Fatalli Yellow
                    Fatalli Red
                    And a large helping of Scorpion Butch T's
                    In the heated prop set to 28degrees and once germinated will be transferred under lights and second wave will be sowed
                    Growing to fill an 16x 10 greenhouse and half a large polytunnel this year so estimating 200-250 plants (did 125 last year)
                    All in all about 40 varieties of which some will be isolated for seed stock and also gonna have a trial at cross pollinating some
                    Let's hope the chilli gods are with us and we get some sun this year

Comment

Sowed the first batch of seeds on 06/01! I've promised myself I'm only doing a "little grow" this year

Heated propagator, am using Root Riot cubes for the first time

Orange Habanero
                      Cajamarca
                      Zimbabwe Bird
                      Exploding Fire

The rest of my seeds arrived yesterday, so today I will be adding some Fatalii, and Aji "Pickled Frog"
                      Various Annuums will go in towards the end of the month, once the other have germinated and been shifted under the light

That's not counting the overwintered plants though... Madre de Vieja, Trinidad Scorpion, Lemon Drop, Aji Crystal, Choc Hab, White Hab, Caribean Antillais, Rocoto Red, and Rocotillo

Comment

The Large one - Wow, sounds like you will have a chilli Jungle this year...

I really hope we get some sun, this is my first year with a greenhouse, so fingers crossed....

Comment

I started off 2 x 24 modules trays 5 days ago in a heated prop in the kitchen. A mixture of around 35 chillies and peppers. So excited for the spring

Comment

has anyone got any seedlings my sweet peppers have come through nothing from the chillies
                            In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

Plenty of time to sow again Darcy. They really need 20 degrees + to germinate. The problem then is that there is not enough light to prevent them going leggy.....even on the brightest windowcill. A grow light would be good.

I planted mine in feb last year and will wait til late jan this year.. Heated prop set at 24 degrees for germination then take it down to 16 degrees for growing on at night or particulalrly cold days.

GooD luck

Loving my allotment!

Comment

4 out of my 30 or so habaneros germinated this morning. (all sown on new years day).

They can take 2 or 3 weeks sometimes. Whereas cayennes etc, seem to germinate far more quickly.

Mine are in a heated propogator. The seedlings will be placed under a grow light tonight....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X