Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Veg growing app

Afternoon all.

There was a thread recently about an app for aiding with your plot. A brief look (via iphone) revealed what can only be considered an, ermm, gapp in the market.

I thought it might prove an interesting dark night winter project to write such a thing, just as a freebie and to see if I can (I'm sort of in the trade). Are there any suggestions on what would be really useful to have and what would be absolutely pointless. I've been bouncing around obvious ideas like a sowing and growing history, maybe a catalogue of what seeds appreciate what conditions and so on. I suspect that with a bit of thought I could also add things like "Where will the sun be at a given time/date" (on my patch, the answer is usually "Somewhere else") but I would welcome any suggestions.

Comment

I've never had an app in my life but.......what about first and last frost dates in your area?

Comment

You have to pay to become an apple app development member first. I would look into this before you start.
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

dont get caught up by the first one that "appens" along.i know ,terrible,but then my mobile is steam powered,and thats my updated one...

Comment

Bear in mind that not all users use apple! Android too, please!

Comment

There's a thread I think I started about it previously, have a look for it - there was a bloke there who was writing one too. The hurdle I came across as the weather data - it's not "free" to use on mobile devices. In the end I wrote myself a quick web-based script that runs via a scheduling manager to feed me my local weather data & text me any warnings etc.

Comment

Just thought I'd post this free app for Androids......looks good.

Free Gardening Guide App From MOTHER EARTH NEWS - Grow It - MOTHER EARTH NEWS
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thank you, Bigmally. The veg garden one has been fixed so that it works on android now but it did cost me 70 cents.

Comment

Me too on the Android..............More Android phones are sold now than Apple, I am fairly sure...

An app that allowed you record your sowing record using icons and calendars so that fiddly typing with mucky hands is reduced woudl be nice..As would a calendar with suggested planting times and probbaly lots more that I cant think of at present...
                    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                    sigpic

Comment

There's already one of those for the iphone, but it's a rip off. Are you sure there's no one for android?

Comment

I currently have 3 on my Android phone...Garden Guide ( Mother Earth), Veg Garden & Vegetable Garden....
                        All only recently downloaded so I will reserve judgement on them until growing season really up and running..

should have said, all 3 are free
                        Last edited by Tripmeup; 16-01-2013, 12:22 PM.
                        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
                          An app that allowed you record your sowing record using icons and calendars so that fiddly typing with mucky hands is reduced woudl be nice
                          Blimey, the state of my hands at the lottie I'll not risk them near my phone at all - can't break a pencil and pad with mud but am pretty sure it wouldn't do anything electronic much good, especially as if seems to be raining most of the time too

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Glad you got it Patch.
                            There seems to be 2 app threads going at the same time so gonna copy this thread across to the veg site.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Just thought It would be beneficial to bring these 2 threads together unless the Mods want do it properly.........

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1078901

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X