No announcement yet.

Self sufficient gardening

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow, with regards to seed compost what I do is simply sieve my existing compost into a bucket as seedlings do not need any nutrients for the first few weeks. This may save you a few bob.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
      Snow how about something like this for composting you could position one in each of your beds.

How To Make a DIY Worm Tower | Permaculture Magazine
      this is a brilliant yet simple idea, thanks for sharing.

Tomorrow taking drill down lotty and will have a go at making a few of them

once again cheers

Comment

Steve there's some good articles on that link.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

A neighbour chucked out one of those plastic wicker laundry baskets which will be my strawberry planter next year.

For those of us who buy too much seeds because it's our treat of choice, what about a thread where we donate some of it to community groups/blocks of flats etc for people who really can't afford it, even the cheap seeds. I'm sure a few Grapes have local people they ciuld take it to or nominate?

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
            Snow how about something like this for composting you could position one in each of your beds.

How To Make a DIY Worm Tower | Permaculture Magazine
            Yes this is a good idea. Thanks for suggesting it. I wouldnt be able to get it anywhere near as deep as that, but I'm guessing a foot would be enough to work...Might be worth a try. I'll look out for some cheap pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              Snow, with regards to seed compost what I do is simply sieve my existing compost into a bucket as seedlings do not need any nutrients for the first few weeks. This may save you a few bob.
              I'll also look out for a cheap sieve. Would be handy for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Snow View Post
                I'll also look out for a cheap sieve. Would be handy for sure.
                I bought 2 of these from wilkos for 25p each, they fit perfect over a barrel, bin, tub etc. I just cut the hanging ties off.

Attached Files
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X