No announcement yet.

Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missed the autumn planting this time and now wondering if it's too late to get some going in pots or modules ready for spring. I guess I have already missed out on all the root development which contributes to large bulbs but at least they will be more advanced than if I leave it until spring to plant. Are there dangers of pot grown cloves going to 'seed', with transplanting or suffering if left to get root bound in the pots?

Comment

I transplanted some module grown teeny-tiny cloves last week that have good growth. I also found a load of bulbs I'd forgotten about, so I too wonder if I could put them in when the snow's gone. I've always planted cloves in late November/early December.
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Help... again

My elephant garlic in pots are floppy?
        They are in the dining room, which is fairly cold, westerly window cloves put in the pots 26 days ago.
        Any ideas?
        Attached Files
        GYO Photos, Pests, Problems and luvvin it!!
        http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/s...ie/Vegetables/

Comment

Originally posted by SeleneMourie View Post
          My elephant garlic in pots are floppy?
          They are in the dining room, which is fairly cold, westerly window cloves put in the pots 26 days ago.
          Any ideas?
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]33537[/ATTACH]
          Put them outside. It's far too warm indoors for them.

Comment

Elephant garlic is actually a perennial leek, not a garlic, but in any case it is fully hardy to the worst the UK weather can throw at it. I would be cautious about just putting it out suddenly as it will be accustomed to the warm temperatures in the house, so harden it off, by putting the pot out for a few hours each day, and then leave it outside permanently and get it planted up. As the weather is turning milder the shock should be less, but suddenly changing the temperature may affect the green top or even push it into flowering when the spring comes.

Comment

I would actually just chop the foliage right down and plant it out direct or just put it outside. It's not like a seed which has germinated in the heat and needs hardening off; it's a bulb which is growing sappy foliage and will grow back stronger once outside.
              Last edited by zazen999; 27-01-2013, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I see, to snuggley in the house for them then!
                I put them in pots to start them off and was under the impression to i had to put them out when the weather got a bit milder. As the snow has gone from the north wales coast now if i cut them right down and plant them straight in the lottie in the next couple of days will they survive? They have very good root systems on them so i think they should be ok.
                Thank you for the advice which i really appreciate as we have not intentionally grown garlic or elephant garlic before and i seem to have stuffed it up in the first month lol!

Comment

You haven't 'stuffed it up' at all as the plant will quite happily grow on once you get it outside. Sorry to have to disagree with zazen999 but it isn't just seedlings which need hardening off but any green sappy growth on plants which have been coddled inside. You would do the same with dahlia tubers grown from cuttings,though of course they would be kept frost free. If you cut off the green sappy growth you will set back the development of the large 'clove' so I wouldn't do that if you an avoid it. That is why it needs to be hardened off. It will go on growing and come back as an onion or ordinary garlic would but that will affect yield.

Comment

Hi,
                    Well i moved all the bots next to the back door in front of the open cat flap and they have all perked up!
                    Off to the plot on the weekend

Comment

I had to dig up some garlic today to make way for a path...both purple garlic and some elephant garlic. So even though no stems were visible, this is what has happened to the elephant garlic underground, see those roots systems! So fret not if yours aren't showing, it usually all fine and dandy underground.

Attached Files

Comment

They are in their new home in the cold mud lol
                        They had fantastic root systems and have made the plot a little greener!
                        Thanks for the advice and i'll post some photos when they have got used to the great out doors, I feel much happier now!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X