No announcement yet.

Best crop this year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of lovely little yellow Patty Pan squash and sooooooooooo many courgettes (very fast becoming marrows!)

Lots of chillis in the GH too!

I think my 'best' in that it's my fave is the Mini Pop sweetcorn! I've never done any corn before; the plants were stunning and taking a bunch home, sticking them straight under the grill and having them with butter and some salt and pepper was just amazing!
    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Chillis, Carrots and Onions....and like everyone else Raspberries
      and honorary mention to Spinach....really good crop and not a sign of it bolting
      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
      sigpic

Comment

Chillis and courgette in pots, have a huge number of tomatoes as well but all our green

Comment

Courgettes were the closest to a 'normal' crop I got this year, so they're my winners.
          Garden Grower
          Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiya View Post
            Sweetcorn and earwigs. At the same time. Luckily the latter did not seem interested in eating the former, just in living, pooping and breeding between its leaves. Ooo and a single raspberry bush that was given as a gift and is still fruiting merrily.

Otherwise, no gluts for me since the overwintering onions and garlic came up I made chutney the other day as my blowaway blew away, decapitating two vine toms and necessitating an emergency chutney session. As well as the green tomatoes and split or squashed red tomatoes, the chutney contained two gherkins, one small courgette, seven shallots, two tiny onions, one very small turnip, two red beetroot and three yellow beetroot. I'm calling it Allota Chutney.
            I know I shouldn't giggle but this is such a well written post

I had a half decent sweetcorn crop, spring cabbage and kale, both sown last year. Broad beans were plentiful. Carrots in the ground for me this year - seed thrown on and covered. Obviously likes the dominatrix touch! Celeriac in the poly looking great. Raspberries are coming now by the tubful - bizarre. Everything else - pants!
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Everything salad related for me, I still have huge heads of various lettuces waiting for consumption. Spring onions, radishes amazing and loads of tomatoes (despite getting blight). Runner beans, broad beans, peas, courgettes. Strawberries, raspberries amazing

Not so good

Potatoes - blight, eel worm, slugs, only salvaged enough for maybe up to xmas
              Carrots -forget it, never bothering again EVER , well I might use up the odd packets I have left over!
              brassicas - what the whitefly, caterpillers and slugs didn't get are still growing - see calabrese post
              Onions - started off fantastic, right up to harvest, now rotting but I think that's because I lifted them instead of loosening the roots first............can anyone confirm this/
              Apples - none
              Pears - 6
              Plums - 4
              Cherries - 5

Seed catalogues are in............here we go again

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                I know I shouldn't giggle but this is such a well written post
                Thank you! I think I must have been flexing my vocabulary muscles!
                Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ger-annie-um View Post
                  Onions - started off fantastic, right up to harvest, now rotting but I think that's because I lifted them instead of loosening the roots first............can anyone confirm this/
                  I never loosen the roots. I know you're supposed to lever them up a bit before pulling them, but I don't as I don't trust them to 'dry' on my clay soil. So I just pull them up, trim the leaves back to about 6 inches just to reduce the chance of my cat eating them (they are dangerous to cats and dogs and my cat is making every attempt to use up his nine lives), shove them in the blowaway with the door open (so they can dry without being rained on) for two weeks, then string them up from a shelf in the garage. So far I've had one of about 30 onions rot, and one of 70 shallots. Rotting to me seems to be ones that were damaged? Or that are damaged and then insufficiently dried/kept somewhere too wet?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiya View Post
                    I never loosen the roots. I know you're supposed to lever them up a bit before pulling them, but I don't as I don't trust them to 'dry' on my clay soil. So I just pull them up, trim the leaves back to about 6 inches just to reduce the chance of my cat eating them (they are dangerous to cats and dogs and my cat is making every attempt to use up his nine lives), shove them in the blowaway with the door open (so they can dry without being rained on) for two weeks, then string them up from a shelf in the garage. So far I've had one of about 30 onions rot, and one of 70 shallots. Rotting to me seems to be ones that were damaged? Or that are damaged and then insufficiently dried/kept somewhere too wet?
                    You're doing it again...let's have more on the cat with not many of his nine lives left.

I too just lift mine and they go in slatted boxes in the greenhouse, up on the high shelf to dry out. I tend to turn them carefully, much as I do my squashes. Even hardening and all that jazz.
                    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Onions,PFA spuds,greenhouse toms,greenhouse peach and climbing french beans (outdoor beans were rubbish)
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                        You're doing it again...let's have more on the cat with not many of his nine lives left.
                        Hehe! He's only got three legs from some prior injury (I suspect he fell out of a tree - motorcyclist arm injury rather than broken bone). He periodically gets stuck down the loo (hard to jump out with only one front paw), rolls down the stairs or off beds when stretching simply through clumsiness, and two days ago he ambitiously tried to fit through the 3 inch wide gap in the bannisters. 3 inches would be impressive for a slim cat and he's a muscular Bengal! He got stuck halfway and had to be rescued; I genuinely thought we'd have to saw the bannisters for a moment! Eating onions would be right up his street, purely because they are dangerous.
                        Last edited by Kaiya; 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Runner beans were brilliant.
                          Rhubarb was awesome
                          Potatoes (International Kidney - grown in trugs) were sublime
                          Broad beans (aquadulce) were bountiful
                          Lettuce loved the cooler summer

Leeks are at that inbetween stage... fattening up for winter
                          Greenhouse toms OK

Climing French beans were dismal
                          Seed sown onions were a washout
                          I fear no beer

Comment

Originally posted by Ger-annie-um View Post

Carrots -forget it, never bothering again EVER , well I might use up the odd packets I have left over!
                            I had very mixed results in the ground. But great success in pots. Easy peasy. Have you tried pots?

Comment

Despite the horrible weather, I'd say I've had the most joy with my tomatoes. My courgettes and beans were a total flop.

Comment

French beans, spinach, my comfrey did very well this year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X