No announcement yet.

Onion in the square foot garden some advice needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With regards to Matts problems this year, I don't know anyone who's onions haven't suffered this year, certainly my crop was reduced.

After talking with friends we came to the conclusion that most of it was down to the weather. That early hot spell which kicked off top growth, followed by gales which knocked it down again. Some onions just didn't recover as the greenery was to weak.

Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I have planted 16 onions to a square in my bed this year.

They were tiny to start with, and a couple of them haven't survived but those that did are looking good so far.

I will try to get a picture when I get back from holiday

Andy
      http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
        With regards to Matts problems this year, I don't know anyone who's onions haven't suffered this year, certainly my crop was reduced.

After talking with friends we came to the conclusion that most of it was down to the weather. That early hot spell which kicked off top growth, followed by gales which knocked it down again. Some onions just didn't recover as the greenery was to weak.

Colin
        It's weird tho Colin...here in Ireland we had an equally bad Summer but my onions were great this year...hard to know what to make of it all...scratches head..
        Not SFG grown tho..I grow loads of onions so allocate loads of space to them...
        Last edited by Tripmeup; 20-09-2012, 09:18 PM.
        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
        sigpic

Comment

my experience with onion suggest that if get poor result mean you treating onion as though they are root crops not as leaf crops which they are. in this case people under feeding them. Especially in regards to Nitrogen. depending on the type onion I have square foot spaced them 3 ways. 4,9 or 16 per foot. square foot is guideline based. if you seed packet say final spacing in rows is:6 inches then you have 4 per square foot, 4 inches then you have 9 per foot, 3 inch then have 16.
          this is most common misperception people have after read the square foot book.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X