No announcement yet.

Never done this before - seaweed help required

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did it. After washing it well of course (and soaking it) - I poured the liquid all over the toms, and the seaweed I just chucked down. That was a few months ago - it's gone now. Couple of my toms died though - not sure if it was related.

Comment

I've also gots lots of unused liquid stuff (nothing ever needed watered outside this year) -- homemade seaweed feed (it's kind of grey) and worm juice (very brown).

Is the considered opinion that this stuff ought to keep fairly well over winter in 2 litre plastics bottles? Bearing in mind it'll probably be frozen Nov - Feb?
      Garden Grower
      Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

liquid seaweed is sold commercially so there is no reason why yours won't keep. I would keep it in a dark cool but frost free place. Wish I stayed close to you, I'd be over with some empty bottles

Comment

Do you have easy access to it? Can you make some more up over winter? I think 6 weeks is all it takes and I've even read a couple of weeks is fine for a tonic.

Comment

We made about 30 gallons of seaweed 'feed' this summer. Used most in old water bottles to add to general watering (not that anything needed much watering this year...). We've got a very liquid slurry left that we'll be spreading around at some point. I love seaweed. Never thought of the seaweed powder idea. Just back from the beach this weekend - wish I'd brought more back with us now.
            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
              liquid seaweed is sold commercially so there is no reason why yours won't keep. I would keep it in a dark cool but frost free place. Wish I stayed close to you, I'd be over with some empty bottles
              Help yourself if you're down this way
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                I think 6 weeks is all it takes
                I don't even wait that long: I currently have 12 five litre bottles filled with:

- comfrey
                - nettles
                - seaweed
                - slugs
                - snails
                - CW caterpillars
                - scarlet lily beetles

and I use it every time I water. When there's room in the bottle, I pop some more ingredients in

It doesn't get used so much over winter, but then it goes on the compost heaps rather than the crops. Nothing is wasted
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  I don't even wait that long: I currently have 12 five litre bottles filled with:

- comfrey
                  - nettles
                  - seaweed
                  - slugs
                  - snails
                  - CW caterpillars
                  - scarlet lily beetles

and I use it every time I water. When there's room in the bottle, I pop some more ingredients in

It doesn't get used so much over winter, but then it goes on the compost heaps rather than the crops. Nothing is wasted
                  That's what I was thinking, adding and keep adding. Righto you've convinced me. How about chopping nettles and throwing them on as a mulch. I usually add them to my compost heap as they are good for activating but if you deem it better to throw on the soil surface for rot down, then I may give it a whirl.
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Chopping them up with seckys and leaving on soil, works. It really does, it's brilliant. You might think "messy", but after a week, they've disappeared.

After a few weeks, you start to get brilliant soil. It looks a little lumpy, but it's fluffy not compacted, and absorbs water brilliantly.

I "chop and mulch" everything now pretty much. Only "unsightly" stuff goes in the compost heap (kitchen scraps, plate scrapings, dog poop etc)

Comment

Wait you put slugs and snails in water and then use it to feed your plants? I have never heard of anyone doing this, most people I've heard about 'rescue' the slugs to a forest area.

Comment

Originally posted by sammy_roser View Post
                        Wait you put slugs and snails in water and then use it to feed your plants? I have never heard of anyone doing this
                        Well, every day's a school day

The slugs aren't a feed, they are hopefully full of nematodes: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ied_64107.html

Comment

Thanks for the link! This will save me a fortune in slug killer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X