No announcement yet.

Main crop spuds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday it was the turn of the plastic water tank, again a good yield.

No planets like MBE but two very nice asteroids.

Colin
    Attached Files
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

well done mrbadexample,i have heard of tattie stuffing in a chicken,but a chicken in the tattie ......WOW

Comment

Those tatties look awesome! Well done

Do any of you tattie growers know... I read you can do some early crop varieties overwinter, does it work? I was thinking about trying some British Queens, I don't mind if they don't work, promise I wont be TOO disappointed! I'm just eager to get growing.

Comment

Nice potatoes - just planning for next years lot now.

How many tubers did you chuck in the 70l bin? And how many would you suggest for a 40l tub?

From my spuds this year I would say it is far far better to put less in, in terms of production, and also strength of the plant, which enables it to defend itself against disease.
          The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
          William M. Davies

Comment

I plant 4 main crop or 4 second earlies to a 70ltr bin. I find anymore overcrowds the plants and you actually get no more spuds.

This year was the first time I had used a 40ltr plastic trug I planted 3 Corolle that I nicked form SWMBO. Seemed OK but may try one with 2 in next year.

Colin
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

lovely potatoes

Comment

I'd agree with Potty about not overcrowding them. The seed catalogues that say put 5 in a bag and harvest huge crops are having a laugh. For maincrop I'd say they need at least 15 litres of compost each and ideally more. It's one of those situations where less usually means more.

I do grow first earlies in plastic flower buckets which are only 10 litres but the point there is to get small new potatoes rather than bakers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X