Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GYO Poll: Are you a fair-weather gardener?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really suffer from very painful hands in the cold, so these days I avoid the lotty on cold wet days: gloves don't help (I have to wear gloves and scarf indoors, even with the heating on).

I still manage to get up the plot once a week, all year round, because we're in one of the driest, sunniest parts of the UK.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I dont garden when its very hot - and it reached 41 degrees here this summer.
      (but i do water)
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

My allotment is in my back garden, but this doesnt stop me doing what needs to be done in the rain, my partner thinks im nuts but when he see's me getting too wet he makes me a cup of tea to warm me up.
        Life isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I used to work a 60 hr week , so had to go to the lottie whatever the weather.
          I now don't work...so *ahmmm.*..yup- I've become a fair weather gardener! ...and why not eh???
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Have visited the plot when the snow has fallen; it looked beautiful, like an iced cake. Have to shoe horn visits around school work, so can spend ten minutes there or an hour upwards depending on what I find to do or the weather. Light showers are okay, can deal with them. Less so when it comes down in sheets. I get wet, the plot turns into mud cake. Not so fun with the blazing hot son neither. Tend to go there with a specific task in mind, and try to get as much of it done as possible. Try to do little bits and often. Have withdrawal symptoms if I stay away longer than a few days.
            Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

So long as the soils not covered in snow or solid with frost I always find something to do in my back garden veg plot, failing that I've got a GH to potter around in.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

We've been overwintering a few things so keeping an eye on them, and encouraging them along. Herbs were doing well till half way thru winter and they are just waiting for spring now.

Pruned apple trees, planted new fruit and berry bushes, moved some other fruit trees. Planted some grape vines. Can't stand the really windy days. I do go out in the rain in summer because it's good to plant in wet ground then. If nothing else I love sitting on the front steps, or at the table in the back yard with a coffee and a couple of kelpies and just enjoying it.
                Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I am a fair weather gardener at the moment, I currently don't grow any crops over the winter months so only have to go out there to prepare my soil and get some seeds on the grow.
                  Last edited by sammy_roser; 02-09-2012, 11:09 AM.

Comment

10 months of the year I am a fair weather gardener, because there's always enough fair weather to get things done, only weeding the carrots when it rains, because carrot fly doesn't fly then so I can remove the netting. In April and May I spend every spare minute in the garden, irrespective of the weather. Having said that, I harvest dinner veg every day, no matter the weather.

Comment

Snow, which we normally have plenty of, and frost which is also normally a problem definitely keep me from my plot. The soil is part clay and when wet is very sticky yet also very slippery and dangerous. As my plot is on a steep slope, 1:8 in parts, it's safer to stay clear until the soil is dry enough to work.

Comment

As I grow in containers I have to water some plants (runner beans) for instance even when its raining. My neighbours think I nutty but they do like a nice handful of fresh veg now and then.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I was planting lettuce this year when we had hailstones the size of marbles. If veggies have to go in, then veggies will go in. I have to say with the diabolical weather we have had, I've been sowing more green manure than anything else this year, but I look forward to a better 2013.
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

If the rain etc is too bad I resort to working in the polytunnel if on the plot or the shed or greenhouse at home. I can be put off certain jobs if it's too wet and there does come a time when the ground is too frozen to weed etc but there are always other jobs to do - winter is a particularly good time for getting on top of general jobs as at least the weeds don't carry on growing (well not much anyway) so if you make it tidy, it stays tidy

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

i seem to be more fairweather as i get older,but i love those brilliantly cold sharp days in midwinter,its such a clean cold, it makes you feel great (properly wrapped up of course),then as the fingers start to go numb, its back up the garden,indoors,coffee,warm up,then back out again to do a bit more,i dont know how many weeds i do to the coffee,but not a lot,just keep going til its done or dark,,these days are then finished off with a stew/hotpot/casserole or the like,and feet up by the fire as your skin tingles in the warmth....bliss..

Comment

OH..... definately die hard. Nothing will stop me from going down the lotty ! Have been down there when the heavens have opened and great sheets of water were torrenting down the sides of the greenhouse
                                It was like being under the sea.... I just carried peacefuuly on, potting away, whilst occasionally looking skyward to ensure the water wasn't coming through the roof !
                                Last edited by Normans Mum; 30-09-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X