No announcement yet.

Foraging - Rose Hips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MrsCordial your not the only one. I've been watching them for the last week or two.
    They are slowly going red and with the cold mornings it will be time to get picking very soon (at least near me).
    While the picking isn't without its perils it more then makes up for it on the end result. Plus it helps that I've noted where all the good bushes are over the last two years. Last year it was about 3 plastic bags full from about 1/3 of the bushes.

Comment

Seen loads yesterday whilst out blackberrying...
      Not sure I have the jars to cope with the amount of strawberries left in the freezer let alone getting more...
      Demi-johns on the other hand...

Comment

D@mnit! Hope I haven't missed the rosehips! Could see the red colouring from the house last week, but had this dashed horsey event to go to.

Planning to get myself rugged up for the cold and head off to the gully later. Might need to take the ute to collect all the rosehips ops: didn't get out to cut those bushes down last year, and thought wait till after I've collected the crop.

Now, was reading that rosehips crystals, as well as being the horsey superfood, and mahoosily expensive, is one of the allowable substances for competing horses.

Sooooo, should I try the product on the horses first? And see if they take to rubbing against every tree in sight first? I'd hate to be banned from work because they thought I had worms

Wish me luck. Have no jam mesh unfortunately, might invest in that next year.

And just let me check one last time? If I don't take the seeds out, but I strain it through muslin twice, we should be good yes?
        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Rosie the dog loves rose hips- how appropriate They smell nice when she is chewing them.
          When I pruned the last of the roses a month or so ago I froze the remaining rose hips so she can have them as lollipops if and when it gets hot!
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
            Rosie the dog loves rose hips- how appropriate They smell nice when she is chewing them.
            When I pruned the last of the roses a month or so ago I froze the remaining rose hips so she can have them as lollipops if and when it gets hot!
            Rosie is such a lucky dog to have you Jean 😄
            Nannys make memories

Comment

Originally posted by Nannysally99 View Post
              Rosie is such a lucky dog to have you Jean ��
              I think I am the lucky one Nannysally - she is a lovely girl
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                I think I am the lucky one Nannysally - she is a lovely girl
                Obviously meant to be, have a fun day. Just done the twice daily Hokey Cokey with the spuds, tomatoes, squash and sweetcorn. Temps look ok for spuds now, the rest have got nine days (holiday for me) to shape up and ship out. Might have to ask someone to babysit them if things don't look up temp wise
                Nannys make memories

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X