No announcement yet.

First spud harvest

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry VC it's all mine.....mine....mine......nnnnnmmmwwwwaaaha [manic laughter]

Erm, sorry about that....

Now don't get me wrong, I love a nice bloody steak (bought from Mrs Vince's uncle's butcher's, so we know where the meat has come from), but equally the number of no-meat meals we have these days is on the increase. (I'm the cook in the house, by the way.) It started out as just a means of making sure we use the veg we grow, but actually....simple fresh healthy veg meals are full of flavour. For instance, we had courgette soup for supper tonight: used up 5 courgettes, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 cayenne and a few basil leaves all simmered in chicken stock then blitzed - luminous green but delicious. Yesterday's dinner was parboiled then griddled fennel, sweetcorn cobs and courgettes, plus roasted toms with garlic and thyme, plus a couple of sausages that needed using up (again from Uncle Clive's shop).

Edit: OK, not totally veg meals due to chicken stock and leftover sausages, but could easily have been with veg stock and Quorn sausages, but you know where I'm going....meat is not the centrepiece of the plate.

Now I'm never going to be a vegetarian VC (although I did live with one for 18 months "in a past life" and survived to tell the tale), as I enjoy meat, although I do feel uneasy if it is not clear that it has come to my plate in a relatively ethical manner, but never did I think I would be lauding the merits of vegetable meals in the way I am now, and I think the pleasures of growing our own is largely responsible for that shift in attitude.

Anyway, it's probably the gin talking now. We've never particularly been "salad-dodgers" but more veg is on our plates now than ever before. Nonetheless VC, you're still not sharing it !!!!
    Last edited by Vince G; 09-08-2012, 11:42 PM.
    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

They look fab i've just put in my first pots in tubs if mine turn out half as good I will be well happy. Any tips xx

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
        Good looking taters there!
        And I'll be in the vege fest as well.
        Will I bring an aussie Chardy? or would you prefer a rose?
        We could have stuffed potatoes with that lot. I could add a snow leek? As opposed to a gas leak.
        Morning Feral, if you can get here you're welcome!! (You know I'm in Ipswich UK, not QLD.....yes..?)

By the way, what's a snow leek? Is that a uniquely Aussie thing or is it just a different name for the leek we know in the UK?)
        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
          Sorry VC it's all mine.....mine....mine......nnnnnmmmwwwwaaaha [manic laughter]
          Erm, sorry about that....

Now I'm never going to be a vegetarian VC (although I did live with one for 18 months "in a past life" and survived to tell the tale), as I enjoy meat, although I do feel uneasy if it is not clear that it has come to my plate in a relatively ethical manner, but never did I think I would be lauding the merits of vegetable meals in the way I am now, and I think the pleasures of growing our own is largely responsible for that shift in attitude.

Anyway, it's probably the gin talking now. We've never particularly been "salad-dodgers" but more veg is on our plates now than ever before. Nonetheless VC, you're still not sharing it !!!!
          I agree with your approach Vince! Animals deserve to be treated with respect before they are slaughtered and with equal respect when they are eaten. But Veggies are so much more versatile!!
          I have a book called "Food Rules - an eater's manual". The essential rules are:-
          Eat Food
          Not too much
          Mostly Plants.

Makes sense to me anyway although the 2nd rule is often difficult
          Enjoy your meal and think of Feral and I starving

Comment

Nice looking potatoes

Originally posted by Vince G View Post

Since I've been growing veg we also eat less meat and the meals we eat are seasonal mostly because we've been spoilt by home grown veg.
            Last edited by Bren In Pots; 10-08-2012, 07:21 AM.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hey VC, that's great, I think whilst you and I are not quite dining from the same plate, we're defo singing from the same pseudo-ethical hymnsheet; the likes of Hugh F-W are ultimately responsible for opening my eyes on that front. It's so nice to know a vegetarian that tolerates us meat-eaters, well, those of us that properly think about our meat anyway. If there were more vegetarians like you who weren't quite so militant, us respectful meat-eaters wouldn't feel quite so persecuted for our filthy diet!
              Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I'll never be a militant anything Vince!! Unless its about the right of everyone to live as they please as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. Each to their own etc.
                I stopped eating meat over 25 years ago because of the way animals were being treated, the junk they were being forced to eat and the drugs that were routinely pumped into them. You are what you eat is true here and I didn't want to be part of that food chain. BUT I'm not a squeaky clean veggie as I do eat fish, preferably locally caught, so I'm really a pescatarian - definitely a pesky something!!
                So enjoy your food today and everyday and take particular pleasure from everything that you've provided for yourself!

Comment

LOL Vince, yes I do know we are in different continents! I'm just being cheeky - wouldn't presume to invite myself if I lived closer.
                  A snow leek? Just a joke as I have 1 medium and two tiny leeks in the garden all winter, waiting for them to grow big enough to make a leek/potato/sweet potato bake out of them........and then it snowed the other night so it was sitting there with a white mulch!
                  Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
                    LOL Vince, yes I do know we are in different continents! I'm just being cheeky - wouldn't presume to invite myself if I lived closer.
                    Bet you would I would

Comment

Vince would be well advised to lower the boom gate if he heard we were on our way VC!
                      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X