Broad bean seeds - what variety?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
    Think the two most common over-winter varieties are Aquadulce & The Sutton (favoured by some due to its reduced hieght & the consequent reduction in wind damaged plants)
    So it could be one of 4 varieties - Aarghhhhhhh!!
    But why am I worrying - they are probably as dead as doornails anyway

Comment

I'd forgotten about Sutton, I think that's what I had success with this year. Well, that and the fact that I just chucked 'em in!
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Good idea Flo! I think I have some Aquadulce in my seed stash at the other place
        I'm embarrassed by the number of seeds I have - and they keep appearing! So far I've found Crimson Flowered, Red Bristow, Martock and Bunyards and yet another tub of unidentified ones that I've saved but most of the name has worn away - probably Bunyards!
        Think I must sow more of them this year
        Our lottie shop sells Aquadulce for overwintering so I suspect that's what they're most likely to be.
        I've just had a fab harvest from a Spring sowing of Bunyards Exhibition (never sow in Autumn).
        I've never hear of Crimson Flowered, Red Bristow or Martock - just how old are they?
        Wish I had the space you seem to have for keeping stuff!
        Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Thanks LL. I think they're Aquadulce too - we'll see
          The other 3, Crimson Flowered, Red Bristow and Martock are heritage varieties and all this year or the last's seeds. I've been growing Martock for several years now - they're small plants and beans. Not heavy croppers but quite cute You wouldn't feed a family on them!
          As for storage space - why do you think I bought another house?

Comment

I don't know how you do it, VC. I have enough trouble keeping track of one house, one garden and one lottie - could never cope with two houses, two gardens and a wood!
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

The secret is, Jeanie, I don't cope!! I just turn a blind eye to everything
              At the moment my project is to get rid of some of the clutter in the house and garden, so when the weather is dry I'm hacking my way through the undergrowth - and its much the same indoors
              Anyone want about 5 years of gardening magazines?

Comment

I grow 3 types of broad bean not got a clue what they're called Two Sheds gave them me about 3 or 4 year ago and I save the seeds to replant next time they're green, pale green and purple-ish. Would love to know what they're called.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Broad bean seeds

Maybe we need a seed identity parade? Match the seed with the bean.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by veggiechicken; 07-08-2012, 03:43 PM. Reason: Adding photo

Comment

My best crop also came from 'what's at the bottom of my seed box' stash - I sowed them as a green manure this spring, they overtook the carefully looked after ones, and were cropping heavily for weeks. Flippin marvelous.

Comment

That's a good idea Zaz, thanks. I will have so much empty ground (thanks to the snugs).

Comment

I'm going to try growing these anonymous broadies under the apple trees through the winter. No leaves on the trees for much of the time and at worst, they'll be greenmanure. I have nowhere else to try all these blessed things! I'll keep the Heritage ones for a better spot. I have a plan -Yay!!!!!!!!
                        Will someone remind me of this in a few months time please?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          I have a plan -Yay!!!!!!!!
                          Hope it's more successful than my cunning slidey-snug-pole plan VC

Comment

I doubt it Flo!! I've had lots of cunning plans this year and none of them have worked as intended One day.........

Comment

It's the trying things and experiments that make people money,when they find a good one to market,so carry on experimenting VC
                              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

You make it sound like I'm on drugs, LottieD

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X