Horseradish

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horseradish

Have planted 5 sticks of horse radish in corner of lottie, can any one tell me how tall it grows ,does it spread, what it even looks like, I like to plant the unusual veg,plus thought it would be nice with a bit of beef on the bbq or sunday roast?
    Mick aka murfe 18

It doesn't grow that tall, but can be a bit invasive if left to it's own devices... I planted some last year for the first time, and was advised to plant it in a pot with the bottom cut off, sunk into the soil. You should then leave it alone for the first year, and thereafter only harvest about half of the roots at a time to allow for healthy re-growth. So, I haven't actually had anything from mine yet, to know if this was good advice or not?!
    Hopefully someone with more experience can confirm or deny...!

Comment

Oh dear, Murfe. Horseradish grows like a weed. I think 5 plants may be a little over the top unless you really like it. Top growth looks a bit like dock, but softer and greener. Obviously it's the root that you dig up and use, but they can get quite large so you will need some recipes as a whole root will be far too much for one serving. Having said that, fresh horseradish root is far superior to shop products. It's hot. Also, it's tap rooted (like dandelions and docks) so if you leave a bit in the ground it will grow itself a new plant. Keep an eye on it and dig out any unwanted plants and you should be fine.

Comment

I have mine in a very large pot with drainage holes in the bottom! Because I realise how prolific it is I have just today placed a paving slab under the pot so it doesn't root through the drainage holes.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X