onion help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onion help

I still have onions hanging up in my garage but a few have started ot shoot .
    why is this? is there a way to prevent this . Am I doing something wrong
    Many thanks.
    Anthony

They have that "spring feeling" Anthony.

There is nothing you can do other than eat them up quickly. As its been very warm this spring they are perhaps a week or two early in shooting but its all dependent on variety and how well dried they were and where they were stored as much as the weather.

Bangers and fried onions for tea then!!!

Comment

I was going to start another thread with a similar question but I may as well tag it on to here!
      I have contingency plans to be self sufficient in onions by using the large 'show' type onions fresh first, then freezing whats left. I then store my onions grown from sets and other seed sown onions in strings. They are coming to the end of there serviceable life shortly.
      There will then be a hungry gap where I have to rely on frozen onions.
      The japanese onions should be usable by late June.

I am still on the lookout for a type of onion which is usable in May/June? Any ideas?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        I am still on the lookout for a type of onion which is usable in May/June? Any ideas?
        I have Swift in the ground, which I bought as sets from Dobies last autumn and overwintered. Apparantly they suppose to be ready in late May - but I am not so sure about that. Will have to see.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X