No announcement yet.

What's this tool?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wonder whether the blacksmith has found a new use for a worn out horseshoe and re-shaped & forge welded the end together to make a type of brashing iron? The weight from the curved section behind would add weight to its brashing capabilities.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

It looks like a rapping iron, a heavy tool that you use in basketry. I have one that I use to straighten thick rods and you can shave blunt ends with the sharp edges. Is it like this? Musgrove Willow Growers Ltd - Beautiful willow products and living willow kits - Tools - 8" Rapping Iron

Comment

Wouldn't be a willow-working tool PP, it has a long handle and hasn't been sharpened finely enough for de-barking, but BP's thistle/dock type weeder has my vote. 40 years ago I was using what we called a "thistle chopper" on the fells in the Lake District. It wasn't exactly the same shape, but now I can see this could be perfect used for the same job and could very well be homemade from scrap metal, possibly old horseshoes. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X