No announcement yet.

Runner Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My runners are a bit yellow as well - I assumed it was just something I'd done wrong! I did get some BFB but haven't managed to get out and put some down yet. French beans looked pretty dire for a while but they've sorted themselves out and are actually climbing now. Interestingly, Cosse Violette is doing much better than Cobra.
    March is the new winter.

Comment

Interestingly, Cosse Violette is doing much better than Cobra.

They always do here so gave up with Cobra!

Comment

My runners were grown at home and planted out with cut down pop bottles and netting. They are growing away nicely now. First time I have grown dwarf French beans - didn't expect them to be about 12 inches high - but flowering. Had expected them to be a little bit taller hardly seems worth the effort. Borlotti and fagioli beans planted later than the runners so only about a foot tall. Again grown at home and planted out with pop bottles to protect against slugs and birds. I think it's a hit and miss year.
        A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

Im growing everythign in my garden and my dwarf french beans are abit of a non starter. They never grew mch and have now been swamped by the courgettes and pumpkins. The runners are in MFBs next to the house and must be very happy in such a sheltered postion. They have reached the tops of their canes and Im now training them along the cat run as they were headed over the bathroom roof!

Comment

Runners are very susceptible to wind damage with their large leaves. One of my batches in a sheltered spot are doing very well indeed. Whilst another batch sown at the same time but more exposed to wind are half the size.

Colin
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I don't know if I dare say this - if you remember, I filled my bean trench with the much maligned compost from Wickes because I thought it a shame to waste and it wasn't fit for anything else. I've got what is looking like a decent bean crop (none last year and few the year before). My wigwam is in the middle of the very exposed garden where the wind whistles at every opportunity. I might have to eat my words.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Apart from my broad beans, all others have merely been food for the slugs...
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                  I don't know if I dare say this - if you remember, I filled my bean trench with the much maligned compost from Wickes because I thought it a shame to waste and it wasn't fit for anything else. I've got what is looking like a decent bean crop (none last year and few the year before). My wigwam is in the middle of the very exposed garden where the wind whistles at every opportunity. I might have to eat my words.

Let's all rush to Wickes, quick....……
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

After several attempts at planting out runner beans sown in modules I finally have about 10 that have reached the top of the canes. My biggest problem has been the slugs eating them before they could establish. Some of the plants just died and it looked like the bean/root area had been chewed off by something.

The plants that have survived now look very healthy.
                    http://strawberryjubes.tumblr.com/

Comment

Not as much vigour as last year but they are already on the top of the support frame with loads of flowers (Enorma and White Lady) so might ok. Both pre germinated ala boiler room style.
                      Last edited by CimaDirapa; 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X