Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red onions from seed for autumn planting? Is it too late?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    No garlic ! In France ! Quelle horreur

eBay?
    Not to plant in autumn apparently, no! Weird eh?

Maybe.. not all ebay sellers send to France either, but worth a try. Also some UK seed sellers will send, but all show as out of stock at the moment - probably just too soon as ppl have said on here.
    Last edited by kathyd; 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM.
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
      I sometimes buy my garlic from a fellow in the market...remembers to save a couple of loose heads for me. 'pour plantais.' Although Garlic acclimatises over the years....save the very best for next years crop.

probably still cheaper to import sets...will keep my eyes open.
      Will certainly try planting some of my own, good idea . Thx for looking out for sets

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
        You can sow your Long Red Florence onions now, plant them out Set/Oct and you will have onions next spring to use direct. If you fleece/net them, you increase the ambient temp and keep the snow off and hopefully* they won't bolt before they start to thicken up.

*Weather dependent.
        Excellent! I could plant them in the polytunnel, unless there's a risk they'll get too hot if we ever get any sun (I'm hanging in there for a late summer... eternal optimist)? Would I be best sowing outside now, and transplanting to the tunnel later on?

Comment

No - if you have a poly sow them now in modules and get them in there around Sept/Oct

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            No - if you have a poly sow them now in modules and get them in there around Sept/Oct
            Zaz, will this also be true for Walla Walla and Alisa Craig if I want fully formed big(ish) bulbs for next spring-summer without the wasteful bolting sets always give me? (I have a Poly).
            Last edited by CimaDirapa; 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Thx Zaz, I'll do that .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X