onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gardenpassion View Post
    they have lots of leaf,[...] How much longer should I leave them before lifting to store. Do they take long to go brown?
    Are they still green? I don't show, so have no idea if you treat show onions differently, but I would wait for the foliage to start to turn yellow and/or fall over. My winter onions (planted Nov) are falling over now, so I'm about half way through harvesting them - I just give them a few weeks after they fall over, then pull as needed. My summer onions are ping pong ball sized and in full green leaf - I don't expect them to say they are ready to be harvested until into August at the earliest, probably later.
    Proud member of the Nutters Club.
    Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

I lift my onions for the under 250 gram class when they are exactly 10.5" in circumference. Some of them are lucky if they have a circumference to measure, more like spring onions at the moment.

Comment

About 20% of my shallots have bolted with about 2-3 weeks to go until they should be ready and last of the few onions that survived are bolting as well , oh well I am getting used to it heh.
        My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X