Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good year for spuds? What about the flavour?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not dug up any yet as we are having a new kitchen fitted and have not got much space to prepare food. However, to improve flavour i always dig up the day before they are needed and leave em to dry off first.
    Roger
    Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

That is what is confusing me - in past years I always used to pull them up and cook them straight from the plot - I have never found them to be so watery and tasteless before!
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

i dont remember ever seeing so much greenery on my spuds .... i had a furtle last week in a sack and yield was poor .... i'm going to wait a bit longer and see what happens ....
        http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Similar to others, my main crop (Desiree) seems to be doing better than the 2nd earlies ( British Queen)
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

So far:

Outdoor strawberries in big planters = Nice fragrance but no flavour at all
            My dwarf early cherry=slightly sweet but nothing like last year.

Yep, too much rain in the wrong time+little sunshine=less sugars =me upset
            Last edited by CimaDirapa; 19-06-2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Another reason for the summer blues ... darn it.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
                However, to improve flavour i always dig up the day before they are needed and leave em to dry off first.
                I find that the nicest potatoes in the world are first earlies dug up and cooked within half an hour of harvesting, they're definitely nicer that way than left. Do cure main crop though as I want to store them.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Contrary to some, I'm getting a bumper harvest of foremost 1st early (last 2 weeks) and Charlotte 2nd earlies. Awesome flavour and really creamy too. Yield my best yet. At least 20 pots per plant. Big contrast to last year when only got half as many spuds and they fell apart in the steamer. Helps being in the south east corner perhaps? I think the rain has really had a positive impact on them this year.

Is it when the spuds crumble even part cooked when they have not had enough water?

Comment

Dug up my first ever potatoes, yesterday - Sharpe's Express. They were delish boiled with butter and salt and pepper, but I've never had them straight out the ground before so I'm not an expert taster! Only got about 6 small ones off the one plant, so I don't know whether that's a good yield or not... we're not massive potato consumers and there are plenty more to dig up so I'm not too upset.

Comment

I love Sharpe's Express but they take a few weeks longer than, say, Swift or Foremost for me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X