No announcement yet.

Gone a tad overboard

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grow some caulis and you can make piccalilly!!!!!
    If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Last year, I only had 2 courgettes and I really like them. So the thought of bucket loads of them makes me quite envious. Sausage dogs, however, are another matter entirely!

Comment

Mine were rubbish last year, so I'd really welcome a glut.
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Looking very good there!

Only one plant of mine did well last year. I still had enough to eat though. I've had slugs eat about 6 plants this year though.
          I made chutney too which my mum and sister have both had this week and said was very nice.
          I might get brave enough to try it myself now :-)

Comment

BigM. if it isn't too personal a question, may I ask what the fluffy stuff is that you have put around your sweetcorn? Is it coir - and why?
            PS Couldn't you grow some lettuce in the empty spaces ? (ducks quickly)

Comment

Looks like grass clippings to me

Isn't it beans supposed to be in as well rather than lettuce. Although lettuce would work

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                Isn't it beans supposed to be in as well rather than lettuce. Although lettuce would work
                Apparently, BM is very fond of lettuce and just can't grow enough of them

Comment

I had 25 courgette plants last year. The packet of seeds had 25 seeds in it, so I planted them all. This seemed like a sensible decision. I also only checked the plants once a week, and at full speed that's flower to marrow! I loved it - my Dad (not a veg eater, very cautious about anything that's not onion, sweetcorn, bread or fish fingers) did get a little over-courgetted by the end...

'Marrow' chocolate cake was amazing though.
                  Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                  Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Bigmally, what have your neighbours done to you to make you hate them so?!!
                    March is the new winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                      Mine were rubbish last year, so I'd really welcome a glut.
                      You're only half an 'our away Flo so hold that thought......
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Zuchinni and carrot muffins are pretty good too! We only had one plant last year and it kept us going pretty well. I'm a bit worried on one hand by the people who have had all their plants eaten and the others who have 'that' many! I find it hard to pull out a plant that's growing well, so would have trouble thinning them when they look as good as yours!
                        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post

Grass clipping indeed, gold star awarded..................The pic only shows half the bed. I was gonna do the 3 sisters bit but couldn't be arissed so the other half has got Peas & Beans in it..............Anyone like Runner Beans?............
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
                            Zuchinni and carrot muffins are pretty good too! We only had one plant last year and it kept us going pretty well. I'm a bit worried on one hand by the people who have had all their plants eaten and the others who have 'that' many! I find it hard to pull out a plant that's growing well, so would have trouble thinning them when they look as good as yours!
                            Likewise Feral, I don't like throwing plants away. It's no big problem really as I live with another 17 tennants...........

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                              Grass clipping indeed, gold star awarded..................The pic only shows half the bed. I was gonna do the 3 sisters bit but couldn't be arissed so the other half has got Peas & Beans in it..............Anyone like Runner Beans?............
                              I adore runner beans.
                              Mine has started twirling round the canes now. Well two have. It's a start.

Comment

You can put courgettes in piccalilli, and I bet they make nice chutney too, one thing I've never tried to make chutney out of but anything works as long as you have apples as the base ingredient it seems. Just all the chopping that's the downside really.
                                Plum chutney recipe.

Can be modified to make any chutney

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X