No announcement yet.

soft onions and rotting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of my red and white summer onion sets didn't grow last year, and I'd assumed they'd perished, but they started popping up in the old onion bed this spring. I transplanted them to the current onion bed but they all bolted last few weeks so they all got pulled and are being eaten at the moment. The intentional over-wintered Senshyu Yellow have done very well - I thought I was only going to get small onions, basically a substitute while waiting for the maincrop, but actually I've got a few cricket ball sized things, and my Dad (lover of eating raw onions) is raving about the taste. I'm actually thinking of pulling all the bigger ones this weekend - not because they are necessarily bolting etc. but because the wind folded some of them over, exposing their shiny white bulbs to view, and it's only a matter of time methinks before a passing teenager decides to turn them into projectiles...

I'm glad to hear they will store for a month or two, or can be sliced and frozen - I was wondering how many onion related dishes we were going to have to eat in a week!
    Proud member of the Nutters Club.
    Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Ok thanks. I have cut off the top of thosos that startd to flower. What about all the others that are still bulking out. Leave them for a couple more weeks?? Thanks

Comment

Kaiya...onions are biennial so will always throw a flower in second year. Sets are normally heat treated to prevent this.

Don't worry about bent over they will continue to swell. it exposes the bulb to the sun?!* to ripen...For storage the better you can dry them (in greenhouse on a rack) the better the best ones will store.

Comment

Overwintered onions pulled

Didn't plant that many and only pulled some of them today to make room for the slugs to get to other plants (well that's what it felt like.....)
          Attached Files
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X