No announcement yet.

Swiss chard?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 5 small pots of the "red" Swiss chard doing well, fried it in olive oil the other day and had it with a steak, and it was really nice.

Do the other colours (how many are there?) taste different?
    Chilli Grower
    mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....
    +----------------------------------+
    | Blog: http://www.dg83.com/blog/|
    +----------------------------------+

Comment

There are lots of different colours, from white stalks and green leaves through the yellows, pinks, oranges and reds. I'm not sure about the difference in taste though as I tend to mix them up for eating anyway.
      I'll do a taste nibble (like wine tasters do) and let you know!

Comment

Grew very well for me with no care or fuss given to it...overwintered very well too...

Not very popular in the house, so will not be growing much again..
        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
          Not very popular in the house, so will not be growing much again..
          Not as a "green" veg maybe, but as a filler for curries, stews, soups ... unbeatable
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

my nan grew loads of the stuff for the first time last year - she tried it once - and then she binned the lot! Anyway, im growing it this year, just to give it a second chance, and like TS says im sure it will taste fine in stews (to me it tastes a little like celery).

Comment

Mine was quite slow to start this year, but over the last couple of weeks has gone a bit bonkers. I use the very small leaves in a salad, but the larger leaves taste really quite bitter to me, so I shove them in curries.
              If it comes from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don't!!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Not as a "green" veg maybe, but as a filler for curries, stews, soups ... unbeatable
                Hadn't really thought of stews or curries for them so will try them..
                Thanks
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X