Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At last looks like something is happening........

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apart from two plants, all of mine are still waiting to be planted out!

Comment

Flowers on courgettes, mine have only just really started to grow =o

Comment

Originally posted by Leeds_lad View Post
        Flowers on courgettes, mine have only just really started to grow =o
        It's early days LL, they'll soon catch up.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
          Yes you are right Yekim - the male flowers get there early and all hang around telling each other tall tales until the females decide to show up late.

However this can be an advantage - I cook the males in tempura - yummy!
          I wouldn't mind. The recipe if you don't mind sharing it. I have never eaten courgette flowers. And every year i consider it a bit of a waste not to take advantage of them, but never know what to do with them.
          Spelling errors are my area of expertise. Apologies if my jumbled up mind/words cause offence.

Comment

I sowed 6 courgettes, 2 to a pot expecting some not to germinat, fool that I am. All 6 came up. Have 2 in the ploy growing well with flowers forming, but not yet open. Planted another in a potatoe bag in the greenhouse yesterday. This one's not as large as the 2 in the poly, but with flowers. There are another 2 in 3" pots in the GH with flower.

Last year 1 in the poly supplied us with enough veg up untill October. No idea what I'll do if just the 3 produce the same amount this year.

PS.
            Just started to pick Tamina toms.
            Last edited by Dead Dogs; 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM.
            Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch and get dirt under your finger nails.

Comment

UU - I believe you pack them with a filling of your choice, twist the end, dip in batter & deep fry them. I think I saw that on River Cottage. There may also be other option so just hold fire for the mo.
              Last edited by Bigmallly; 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I too over compensated for lack of germination last year - now I have far too many squashes to fit in the plot - especially as nothing seems to be ready to give up their overwinter beds yet! I do have some spare potato bags so interested as to whether filling them up with half manure / half compost might give some spare courgettes a home. The summerball is showing a "ball" about the size of a golf ball already so I am quite impressed. Most other plants are not even flowering yet (some have buds!) but sumerball seems to be racing ahead.

Comment

This page has some good info about using the flowers. Kitchen Life Skills: Courgette Flowers
                  I've had them stuffed with the sort of rice and pine nut mix you would put into stuffed vineleaves (dolmades), or with cream cheese and herbs.

Comment

Tempura batter is easy - equal cornflour and plain flour mixed to a thin batter with sparkling water - dip the flowers in, shake off the excess and deep fry until crispy - drain well.

This looks to be a nice recipe.
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Just realised that I have to find room for 50 courgette, squash and pumpkin plants
                      Have I grown too many, do you think?

Comment

Ate my first proper courgette of the year yesterday (after several tiny unfertilised, lack of male jobs, so much for boys first, then girls). More waiting for another couple of days as well. These are early planted ones in the greenhouse, which I tend to give a hand in the pollination game.

First toms from an early planting have just set, the jungle of all the rest should flower in the next week or so.
                        Garden Grower
                        Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                          Ate my first proper courgette of the year yesterday (after several tiny unfertilised, lack of male jobs, so much for boys first, then girls). More waiting for another couple of days as well. These are early planted ones in the greenhouse, which I tend to give a hand in the pollination game.

First toms from an early planting have just set, the jungle of all the rest should flower in the next week or so.
                          that what happen for me.. the plant make the male flower first and then female... this year a sow corgette at different time so the first female flower of some courgette plant can be impolinate by the late sowing of courgette.... it look like is working...

Comment

Only got one baby tomato forming so far, some of my toms have 5 trusses of flowers (sungold) rest have 4 trusses, the tumbling toms are covered in flowers

Not sure how many trusses I want my cordon toms to have this year, this new greenhouse is a lot higher to the eaves, I've probably got another 3 to 4 foot of growing space till the toms hit the roof

Comment

Ive just got my first courgette flower, very pretty looking! Its fascinating for me to see what alot of these plants look like as Id only seen the produce in packets before I grew my own!!
                              I am jealous of anyone who has tomatoes though. All 3 of the varieties Ive got are growing so slowly they dont seem to have changed for ages.

Comment

just maybe they started without the males,you will will soon know if they grow on or drop off lol,
                                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X