Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tomato tips pls for plastic greenhouse thank you !

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I wound recommend are: Get a thermometer and put it up. It's a real life saver knowing what the temperature is in your GH. Anything above 30 degrees Celsius will begin to "cook" and ruin your plants. Tomatoes like it around 18-22 degrees. Keep any ventilation and doors open and rolled back during hot(ter) days and damp down the floor if it's really hot, (like the 27 degrees etc we had a few weeks back, my plastic greenhouse was hitting on 40 degrees!) by spraying water onto the floor.

Other than that, keep things watered every few days and everything should go well =)

Comment

When you've repotted into bigger pots as suggested you could buy a bottle of Tomorite, read the label and it will tell you what to do.

Comment

More q's about tomato tips

Things I wound recommend are: Get a thermometer and put it up. It's a real life saver knowing what the temperature is in your GH. Anything above 30 degrees Celsius will begin to "cook" and ruin your plants. Tomatoes like it around 18-22 degrees. Keep any ventilation and doors open and rolled back during hot(ter) days and damp down the floor if it's really hot, (like the 27 degrees etc we had a few weeks back, my plastic greenhouse was hitting on 40 degrees!) by spraying water onto the floor.
        Thanks very much for this - good advice. I have a glass greenhouse in the garden that I can monitor quite easily, but am going to erect a plastic one at the plot. I am planning to put in some Red Alert Bush tomatoes, a Super Marmande (I know that they traditionally don't do well in UK as the season isn't really long enough for them) and a couple of Masterpiece cukes. I won't be able to get there every day, so wondered about planting direct to ground, rather than putting them in pots. Also, about preparing the ground for them - plenty of compost, fym etc in their final 'resting' place? Sorry, I have hi-jacked this thread a bit, but was hoping the OP would ask more detailed questions.

Comment

SuzieQ, I'd plant them in the ground if you can do, and sink a plastic bottle with the end cut off next to them for watering. That will keep the moisture under the surface better, and so less will evaporate than if you were watering into the surface, and if you can't get to the plot for watering, they have the potential to send roots down a bit deeper to seek out the moisture.

Comment

Thanks Sarah, that's a good idea. Mind you with the weather we've had recently I may have to re-evaluate and plant some rice instead!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X