Pead Off?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
    Am i the only one that seems to be hving success with peas this year - one lot of mine are full of flowers and then the next lot are just about to flower!

However i agree with you on the other crops - both my pak choi and raddish have both gone to seed
    My salad leaves and spinach bolted before they were out of the cradle.

However, my peas, which were started in the cold frame months ago in guttering, before planting out, are doing fab and I shall be eating peas very soon. the BBs are podding up nicely, thank you.

Just a completely weird year.....
    If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Agree, this is a weird year so far. Feltham First peas laden with pods, picked the first "tester" yesterday - yum. Also, Broad Beans provided two good meals so far. Runner beans - on the other hand - poor germination and little growth on those that have.

A combination of general weather and local conditions, i reckon. These are all tall crops and shelter from the wind must be important. The wind has been blowing from the east a lot this year, a cold direction earlier in the year.
      Last edited by Kestrel; 05-06-2012, 06:10 AM.
      Where there's muck, there's brassicas

Comment

Well- I'm certainly most pead off

Flipping voles have noshed their way through 6 rows of young peas...hmmmmmph.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The last of my peas are now outside hardening off, sweet peas on the other hand,deader than dead things!

Comment

Now you make me feel better Carol- my sweet peas are in tubs and are nearly 3 feet high!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              Now you make me feel better Carol- my sweet peas are in tubs and are nearly 3 feet high!
              Ach!.....

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                Well- I'm certainly most pead off

Flipping voles have noshed their way through 6 rows of young peas...hmmmmmph.
                Voles Nicos? Not mice?? Ooo I do hope it's voles that are trashing my beds too, I'd feel much less cross than I do with the mice somehow...

I planted some Golden Sweet yellow mangetout in my polytunnel and they've done fab, giants with masses of beautiful pink flowers and pale yellow peas. They escaped the mice, unlike the sweetcorn.. But all my outdoor peas are struggling, and only 2 of the Golden Sweet have even bothered to appear! My French beans are barely moving, if they bother to come up at all, and my runners - which I thought were idiot proof and should be able to withstand even my clumsy attentions - had an appalling germination rate even though they're some of the few things I bothered to start off in pots!

However... I'm still loving grubbing about in the soil, enjoying the birdsong (and wondering where the grasshoppers and crickets are...), and am now thinking about winter crops!! Lol - gyo has a lot to answer for . I figure if I can't get much over the summer, at least I can start planning my winter veg and just maybe we'll have something to eat with Christmas dinner!
                sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Have to say my peas are doing exactly the same along with a lot of other stuff, even the stuff in the greenhouse apart from courgettes and 4 toms appear to be struggling....when i wander round the garden looking at the plants you can almost hear them say 'What you looking at...oooooohhhh so you think i'm gonna grow do ya....well we'll see about that mister' with two tendrils sticking up at me

Sooooo frustrating

Comment

My (twice sown) peas are also sulking along. Spinach doesn't seem to want to grow and even the radish aren't in the mood. I was just about to resow the parsnips when they belated decided to germinate.

Purple sprouting brocolli has become yellow flowering brocolli...

On the plus side, things are looking OK in the greenhouse.
                    Garden Grower
                    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Thought we may get it better in the south of france, but we seem to have the same problems as you guys, as we had the same hot March, wet April, and then hot May.
                      Peas are going great guns and almost ready to pick

Kelvedon Wonder again, so maybe that variety have done well in the changeable weather. The broad beans have set too, despite getting some brown spot

But the spinach has set seed, the lambs lettuce didn't take off and I have only 3 parsnips germinated!
                      Ah well, plenty of strawberries to munch on, when it all looks a bit bleak!
                      Attached Files
                      4th September 2012 blog updated 'The Long Hot Summer'
                      http://www.deepindordogne.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by CaroltheCarrot View Post
                        The last of my peas are now outside hardening off, sweet peas on the other hand,deader than dead things!
                        Funny you should mention sweetpeas... I have biju sweetpeas are not doing that great, in a tub and are not showing much sign of flowering this year.

On a plus side my runnerbeans have gone wild and have just found out they are white lady! French dwarf beans were looking a bit sorry for themselves but over the last week they have really blossomed and I have plenty of flowers. Just hang in there and your peas might have a growth spurt! Keep us updated

Comment

My black pod runners are a good two to three foot and winding beautifully. My climbing peas are dreadful. My early peas are flowering and should see a decent crop. All the frenchies (dwarf) are in the tunnel. Broad beans are going great guns and we had our first meal of those tonight. Potatoes seem to be slow in growth though.
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X