Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hollychap View Post
    plant on shortest day harvest on longest
    In optimum growing conditions wait until the leaves fall over IMO is the best bet.

Comment

I have white rot and just pulled all my October sown garlic and onions after one or two succumbed to the powdery peril. The cloves are small but they do exist. I am hoping they will dry now they are out of the soil.........

Same with the onions and I now have nowhere safe to put my leekies.

Loving my allotment!

Comment

I have good years and bad with the garlic and this is looking like a bad one looking at the stems and foliage. However, I can hold out some hope of "what lies beneath"
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Same as ...mine are all out o the ground now and drying . I think I caught them just in the knick o time because one or two had just started to rot. This years crop is splendid with about a 98% of the crop being o good usable garlic, last years were a complete disaster though, where as the year afore was a cracking crop too.
          I think there is a very fine time line with garlic, a week to long can result in disaster.

Learning all the time

Wren

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
            I have white rot and just pulled all my October sown garlic and onions after one or two succumbed to the powdery peril. The cloves are small but they do exist. I am hoping they will dry now they are out of the soil.........

Same with the onions and I now have nowhere safe to put my leekies.
            Bummer I have whiterot in part of my polt and thought I had got rid of it. Mixed up my Golden Bear onions which are semi resistant and were meant for this area and planted sets by mistake. The sets now look sick!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Bad year for me I think. Trying the shortest longest day thang but the bulbs just aren't bulking up and the leaves are starting to turn. Might have to buy more bulbs at this rate to plant this year!

Comment

Mine were looking good but Ive just noticed that all the stems have been squashed or just come away. Although weirdly the spare red onions that I just threw into gaps are doing fine!?

Comment

my garlic are all looking really good above ground .... normal garlic from sainsbury's bulbs, and lots of elephant garlic too .... the elephant garlic bulbs are swelling nicely .... last checked the normal garlic a couple of weeks ago, not much swelling yet ....
                  http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Mine planted shallowly in large pots are doing fine. Although my outdoor farlic has similar foliage it is planted deeper and doesn't have such big 'cloves'

I wonder whether planting too deeply can cause smaller cloves?

Pot grown top of corm is barely one inch below ground whereas outdoor grown is three inches below ground.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by hollychap View Post
                      plant on shortest day harvest on longest
                      20th June this year, I believe - can anyone confirm?
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

My garlic, planted October-ish, look to be doing well. Two varieties brought from a GC in Oxfordshire, I can't remember the names.
                        Had a few left over, ie not enough for a complete row, so planted these in the greenhouse. These are a head, as expected and have pulled singlely as required. Good size bulbs on what looks like skinny tops.
                        Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch and get dirt under your finger nails.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                          20th June this year, I believe - can anyone confirm?
                          According to Greenwich Meantime it's June 20 2012, 23:09 - so yes! Date for planting next year's lot is December 21 2012 11:11.
                          Last edited by zazen999; 06-06-2012, 09:55 AM. Reason: fixing quote
                          Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                          Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

I've just harvested my garlic, leaves were yellowed and falling over. Grown from supermarket bulb, overwintered outside in a container. First time I've grown garlic.

Attached Files
                            I'm trying a blog, updated 3rd June

Comment

Never personally grown it before this year.

One variety I have are all completely brown now, lifted one and although there are cloves dont look anyhting as big as the picture above. Am I right in assuming these should just be lifted now that they are all brown?

Comment

I lifted one that had gone raffia like and keeled over. Reeked to high heaven, but was a slushy mess. Hadn't split either.
                                Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X