No announcement yet.

Sweet peppers, slugs and blue pellets of death

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how do the blue pellets work? Do the slugs/snails eat them and get poisoned, do they crawl over them and that somehow kills them??
    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
      So how do the blue pellets work? Do the slugs/snails eat them and get poisoned, do they crawl over them and that somehow kills them??
      it's a low dosage chemical that poisons the slugs either through contact or digestion ... metaldehyde in the pellets will cause the slugs to produce a lot of slime, which causes them to dehydrate and die ...
      Last edited by Farmer_Gyles; 29-05-2012, 12:01 AM.
      http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

egg shells .... crushed .... sprinkle them around precious plants .... slugs and snails apparently don't like crawling over the sharp crushed shells ....

i do this around my lettuces, no proof it works, but my lettuces seem to grow ok ....
        http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

I did a late night check of my raised beds, I found a few massive snails and some smallish slugs eating my plants, broke the shells and chucked em in the pond for the piranhas (tadpoles) to eat, it was a feeding frenzy, felt a bit guilty actually for a while, but over it now just hoping the tadpoles like slugs/snails as much when there adults

I wont use slug pellets because of the danger to wildlife, plus I reckon some of the chemicals from them must leech into the soil, I really need to get some nematodes sorted though before I plant out my squash

Comment

Has anybody ever tried eating our garden snails? I read once that if you gather them up, just the ones big enough to bother with, confine them and feed them on lettuce or something to clear them out you can then eat them like they do in France.

Don't know how true it is.

Comment

I use beer traps too. Morissons used to do 4 cans for 99p but I haven't seen them this year. Where's the best place for cheap beer?

Comment

Give them strong lager.

I give the male ones Stella Artois, they then go and beat up their wive's and kids
                My new website for allotment beginners www.theallotmentshed.co.uk

My Facebook page Please take the the time to "LIKE" https://www.facebook.com/theallotmentshed

Follow on Twitter The Allotment Shed @TASallotment

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                  Good god!! Smashing, squashing, snipping, dashing, drowning. The poor things. Think I'll start a shelter or something.
                  Good plan.

What's your address? I'll give you a donation
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Good plan.

What's your address? I'll give you a donation
                    Will get back to you on that. Have to register it as a charity for tax purposes dont ya know.

Comment

I use nematodes occaisionally on the plot but mostly I just stamp on the blighters or squeeze them to death if possible. Not remotely squeamish about it - it's war out there but OH can't bear to touch them, the big wimp

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

how about a mini barbed wire fence around the veg lol.

I have a roof terrace at the mo, but am buying a house, so will have to start protecting my stuff, defo not worried about a bit of squishing.
                        Chilli Grower
                        mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....
                        +----------------------------------+
                        | Blog: http://www.dg83.com/blog/|
                        +----------------------------------+

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                          Will get back to you on that. Have to register it as a charity for tax purposes dont ya know.

Save the slugs charity shops could open all over the UK.
                          It'd be slimetastic.

Comment

So lab coat off and this is what I came up with. A salty take on copper rings. Reused plastic cups from the water cooler at work, a couple of strips of double-sided sticky tape around the top, rolled in salt. Cut the bottom off, slit it up the length so I could fit it around the base of the pepper stem and then taped up the slit on the inside. Hope it works. It's in the tunnel so the rain shouldn't wash the salt off. No slugs were hurt in the making of this invention But the blue pellets might get them ...

Attached Files

Comment

btw, this may have been done a million times before but not to my knowledge

Comment

Is there any chance that when you water from the base, the sticky tape will get wet and the salt turn to salty water?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X