No announcement yet.

Sweet peppers, slugs and blue pellets of death

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't stomp a snail, but I can add it to my saltwater mix!
    Somebody told me that you will have more snails in a limestone district than slugs, because they need the limestone to make their shells.
    I haven't a clue whether there's any truth in this but I'm sure someone will be along to put me wise!!

Comment

Have both and plenty of them this year whereas last year they were hardly around. I used the pellets two weeks ago and in the morning there were hundreds of slime marks everywhere with their carcasses nearby, more than i thought i actually had.
      www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

caught loads of slugs with beer traps so far this year

Comment

Why salty water btw? Does it kill them faster than just drowning in plain water?

I have a special pair of scissors *SNIP*

Comment

I think so. Its like sprinkling them with salt. I couldn't snip them - the very thought goes through me!

Comment

Stab, snip, slice and stamp! I do this as much as I can. I used to be squeamish about it but now it's war. Give me an Uzi 9mm that dispenses slug pellets and I'm there dude.

I have some that are certified for organic growing but they are about as much use as a flea in a fit. This year I'm growing to supply food not just for fun but because the pennies are short so I can't afford to waste time, effort and money feeding slimey things that can't be eaten. Tomorrow I'm taking aged Mother shopping and slug pellets are on the top of my list. I do worry about the wildlife so my plan is to sprinkle lightly before dark and put plenty of goodies out for birds that would taste way better. I know there are other creatures than birds so I'm working on a hedgehog feeding station thus negating the need for pellets.

Comment

I used to have a lot of trouble with slugs and snails, but I keep well on top of the little blue pellets and its not so bad only the odd nibble. I did use nematodes the other week and I think they are keeping them at bay too. As for snails, my 5yr old and her cousin are well trained at stamping on the little devils! Squashing snails is a great game!

Comment

I always give snails their pilots wings, I chuck em hard against the shed or fence gives the thrush's a treat.

Colin
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                    Why salty water btw? Does it kill them faster than just drowning in plain water?

I have a special pair of scissors *SNIP*
                    Chris, they don't drown in plain water, the little bu@@ers swim to the side of the container and climb out. If you put salt in the water it seems to stop them swimming.

Comment

I was very upset that my turnips got chomped on. I will be apoplectic if nanaji's cabbages become dinner. Currently, they are under a net. Each one is surrounded not only by slug and cabbage fly deterring collar, but also blue pills, ceramic anti slug and snail detterant, plus beer traps.

I don't mind slugs when they are small and mal nourished looking. I can pick and flick. However, when they are big fat critters that look like Haribo; they make me ever so sick. I went one day, and they were circling the net; one was half way up the net.
                      Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                        slug pellets is nothing to feel guilty about .... i'm growing for me, not the slugs, so i'll use the pellets ....
                        other animals will eat them, or eat the poisoned slugs: "Over the past five years most of the reported fatalities have been dogs and cats but reported cases also include one hedgehog, one deer, a donkey and a horse." Just as a for instance. It's better to be safe than blase ~ I do use slug pellets occasionally, but very sparingly, and I put them under netting where the slugs will die without being scoffed by the hoggies
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          other animals will eat them, or eat the poisoned slugs: "Over the past five years most of the reported fatalities have been dogs and cats but reported cases also include one hedgehog, one deer, a donkey and a horse." Just as a for instance.
                          Does this apply to the ferric ones? I try to use sparingly but I'm not netting over really substantial areas.

This is the link to make your own nematodes. Havn't heard from Pips recently and my slugs still aren't dead!
                          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                            Does this apply to the ferric ones? I try to use sparingly but I'm not netting over really substantial areas.
                            I don't know.

I only pellet the really susceptible plants: brassica seedlings & strawberries, which are under net anyway
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                              I always give snails their pilots wings, I chuck em hard against the shed or fence gives the thrush's a treat.

Colin
                              me too. Luckily the dirt in the plot paths is rock hard at the moment, so a hard dash on the ground does them in. Hoping the local birdies enjoy the snacks.

Comment

Good god!! Smashing, squashing, snipping, dashing, drowning. The poor things. Think I'll start a shelter or something.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X