No announcement yet.

Germinating Chilli Seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I normally pick up a packet of seeds (normally an unusual one) from the Chilli Fiesta at West Dean - I normally get mine from Simpsons Seeds - Matt is a chilli head aswell.#

I then normally join the Pass the Parcel from Chillies Galore and a couple of seed of various varieties....these I normally sow at the end of January in Multipurpose in module seed trays (24's) in a heated propagator.
    Last edited by Pieman; 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM.
    AKA - BigMatt over at Chillis Galore......

Comment

But they probably won't grow the same as the one you took the seeds from as it is likely that it's either an F1 or will have crossed with something else. A nice experiment but don't be disappointed if it isn't as you expect.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Does anyone keep their chilli plants from one year to the next? They are perennials apparently, but I've never bothered before, this year I'm going to bring one smallish plant indoors... see if it will tolerate a draughty windowsill for a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by oliveoyl View Post
          Does anyone keep their chilli plants from one year to the next? They are perennials apparently, but I've never bothered before, this year I'm going to bring one smallish plant indoors... see if it will tolerate a draughty windowsill for a few months.
          Olive, several people on here do overwinter Chilli plants. There was a recent good thread about it:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post144330

Hope this helps
          There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

It sure does thank you kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by danmon_81 View Post
              Thats the couple from HFW's show.....
              Yes, he used to be on with HFW all the time in the early days of River Cottage.

Haven't seen him on the show for ages, don't know if they have fallen out.

Comment

Just got some chillies from the Chilli Company. They came with a little sachet of germinating solution. Has anyone tried this before?
                The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

I used the airing cupboard last year and it worked fine although the seedlings become quite leggy but it wasn't a problem as I just covered them up to their necks when I potted up.

I'll be using the airing cupboard again this year me thinks but instead of using big black pots I'm gonna buy some nice but small ceramic ones to keep in doors. I'll be forcing them to grow small in smaller pots so hopefully they will still fruit ok.
                  Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

Comment

Hi I've been reading through this thread. I have found fresh seed straight from a pepper I've bought germinate well.
                    I followed the tip about fishing out non germinated seeds. i found some had germinated but were too deep so moved them to the surface. I'm trying to germinate the rest in tissue following the tea tip. This year is looking bad for peppers with the cold weather persisting so long. I am wondering if its possible to buy plugs of Hungarian hot wax for example, anywhere? regards Paul

Comment

No luck

Hi I tried germinating with tissues but had no luck. So far from 12 seeds begun in Feb I have one healthy looking seedling Twilight with a couple more on the way. Hot Wax seedlings haven't done well. I'm using peat pots and taking care not to let them dry out. I will start the last of my seeds off in a few weeks as its getting warmer now
                      I plant them just at the surface with pointed aprt of seed facing down

Comment

Originally posted by Pauley View Post
                        Hi I tried germinating with tissues but had no luck. So far from 12 seeds begun in Feb I have one healthy looking seedling Twilight with a couple more on the way. Hot Wax seedlings haven't done well. I'm using peat pots and taking care not to let them dry out. I will start the last of my seeds off in a few weeks as its getting warmer now
                        I plant them just at the surface with pointed aprt of seed facing down
                        Chillies need quite a lot of warmth to germinate. I sow five or six seeds in a 3 and a half inch half-pot and place in the heated propagator on the kitchen windowsill.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                          Chillies need quite a lot of warmth to germinate. I sow five or six seeds in a 3 and a half inch half-pot and place in the heated propagator on the kitchen windowsill.
                          I too use the heated propogator method but prefer one to a teeny 1.5" newspaper pot as I find that they often germinate at different rates and I like to get them out the propogator as soon as they show their little heads. I sow but filling the pot, making a small indentation in it with an old biro and then cover before watering until the newspaper is fully damp. Then don't usually need to water until they germinate but keep an eye on the newspaper and water a little if it dries out.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

For the Ghost Chilli or Trinidad Moruga Scorpion I soak them overnight in Chilli Focus liquid before sowing and they usually sprout in a week or so at 25 to 28 degrees in a Jiffy 7 pellet.
                            Last edited by Yorkshire.Dave; 07-04-2013, 10:55 AM.
                            -------------------------------

Currently growing..

Peter Pepper,Moruga Scorpion,Habanero,Bhut Jolokia(yellow),Numex Twilight,Purple Jalapeno,Big Jim,Papri Paprika,Thai Hybrid,Esplendor,Sweet mini bell pepper and Patio fire chilli...

Also
                            Black tomato,Dragons Egg Cucumbers and Charentais Melon

Comment

I've had very mixed experimental results. Whilst many have germinated in a heated prop, I have had increased germination rates in having chillies stood on a warm sunny window sill. So with that, I have chosen to sow a last batch purely as a window sill condition. I really couldn't get many germinating in the heated prop. They all do have different cracking points, I'm sure. I've just found the unheated prop on a window sill more successful
                              Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

Ive had some Ghost Chillies take 3 weeks to germinate so all you can do is wait and hope
                                -------------------------------

Currently growing..

Peter Pepper,Moruga Scorpion,Habanero,Bhut Jolokia(yellow),Numex Twilight,Purple Jalapeno,Big Jim,Papri Paprika,Thai Hybrid,Esplendor,Sweet mini bell pepper and Patio fire chilli...

Also
                                Black tomato,Dragons Egg Cucumbers and Charentais Melon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X