X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dare I ask the secret? Enviromesh???

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      See, that's why I love growing cabbage - esp red cabbage, as I rarely get any caterpillars and if I do, they don't get to the inside leaves whereas with PSB or calabrese the flowers get filled with black bugs and I just can't face eating them.
      I can never face eating black bugs either Zaz
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I put some in the flower beds one year, nobody noticed!

Comment

Until last year I'd never grown cabbage before, and what a nice surprise they were in terms of the flavour! Friends of mine BEGGED me to have them over for dinner so they could have some of my 'special recipe' cabbage, and all they were... were boiled! LOL
          If I struggled for space, I think I'd grow a couple at a time, and squeeze in carrots in between. Those two are the veg that I feel taste THAT much better than shop bought
          For me, if my hand is forced, it's the flavour and my personal favourite veg that decides what I grow. I do grow the veg that are expensive to buy too, but if push comes to shove, they would have to make the way for carrots and cabbage
          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I love home grown cabbage, I grow several types and have bought about 3 cabbages in the last 2 years. The flavour is far superior and they do look attractive in a flower border (i usually plant a couple of winter ones in a border even though I now have an allotment).
            Last edited by Andromeda; 24-05-2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

try growing some over wintering cabbages, can be planted after the autumn harvest and pulled just in time for the space to be filled with other veg in late spring

Comment

Yes, yes and yes....Homegrown cabbages are way nicer than shop stuff...
                As others say, grow a few this year just to convince yourself!!
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

You can cram them into 1 square foot - I'd try for 4 then cook them while they're small and tender.

Comment

I grew pointy spring cabbage last year and put them closer together than the recommended spacing to try to get smaller plants - deliberately! I found some grew huge and others didn't thrive - maybe the way I looked after them, I dunno. The biggest part was the outside leaves which spread for miles, so as suggested above you could break these off with no probs and still have the heart, which was quite neat once you managed to find it! They do taste better than shop bought, honest . Could you fit a few pots between your raised beds for them and plant them individually? Or in corners, as Zazen suggests . And they still got slugs in I'm afraid, even in the polytunnel...
                    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

I sometimes grow 'sweetheart' type cabbage (cos I like em)

Fi seed is expensive and you don't get many in a packet. To make it more worthwhile I do the 'cross in the stem' trick as I harvest them and a bit later on in the year I am rewarded with up to four mini cabbage on the old stalk!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by colser View Post
                        over wintering cabbages, can be planted after the autumn harvest
                        Really?
                        They usually have to be sown in late spring, planted out in summer, then they grow on all autumn. If you don't plant until autumn, they aren't growing to grow much before it gets dark & cold ...?
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Am trying to grow Kale for the first time and also PSB which I think also has a long cropping period. They're in trays, just seedlings at the moment but potted up 10 cabbages today. It's trial and error for me I'm afraid - so much to do.
                          A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            Really?
                            They usually have to be sown in late spring, planted out in summer, then they grow on all autumn. If you don't plant until autumn, they aren't growing to grow much before it gets dark & cold ...?
                            Durham Earlies are sown in July-September, so started off in modules and potted on before going into the bed would give time for space creation (although can be sown directly outdoors) - they're harvested April - May.
                            Last edited by Andromeda; 25-05-2012, 10:34 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

I didn't bother with cabbages either due to space catterpillers and cost in shops. But that said the flavour of own grrown savoy. . . Yum!
                              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X