No announcement yet.

Growing onions from sets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair point, I thought all sets were heat treated Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Cue the Toms View Post
      I think I put too many onions in my pot (15 in an ex recycle bin)... They have all taken well but can I transfer them or should I just let them get on with it?
      If you mean one of those oblong plastic bins I think you may have room for more, though that does depend on the variety.

Pics will give you some ideas.

Colin
      Attached Files
      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Cheers Colin... I'll leave them alone then... I like you lol

Chris
        My new website for allotment beginners www.theallotmentshed.co.uk

My Facebook page Please take the the time to "LIKE" https://www.facebook.com/theallotmentshed

Follow on Twitter The Allotment Shed @TASallotment

Comment

Originally posted by veggiemad View Post
          Oh right - I've planted some banana shallots sets - so does that mean that they won't grow?

I'll get the hang of this one day!!
          I made the same mistake and bought some supermarket shallots to plant. Upon reading up, I found that they can be grown for seed that can then be sown in winter. The seed then produce one bulb, they do not split like standard shallots......I have planted a couple for seed collection.

Edit: I don't know what happens to the banana sets you buy from the likes of T&M
          Last edited by Bigmallly; 22-05-2012, 08:41 PM.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

on that point, my final potting on of my large exhibition onions is in to a mix comprised of equal portions of general purpose compost and John Innes 3 with some vermiculite added to keep the compost open and a small amount of slow release granules. The ground in which they are planted has a goodly amount of fym below but that is there mainly for moisture retention purposes and once planted out, they get nothing but water. Too much feed makes the growth soft and the onions will also ripen off early and stop growing. Here endeth the lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
              Too much feed makes the growth soft and the onions will also ripen off early and stop growing. Here endeth the lesson.
              Glad you mentioned that as was just about to start searching online for onion fertiliser! not that i would have purchased any, but i would have looked for a home made concoction i could use to the same end.

Don't let your lessons end, your posts are highly informative and very much appreciated.
              Spelling errors are my area of expertise. Apologies if my jumbled up mind/words cause offence.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X