Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it warm enough to plant out my runner beans?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put them out rather than cut them.
    it's certainly warm enough at the moment - and maybe close enough to June to not worry about frosts...
    But who knows!

Comment

I've just planted my garden runners. The ones for the 'lotment need to harden off a bit more first, as it's windy on our site.

Comment

Well, I've planted mine out and I live in the North West. Will just have to let them take their chance cos they're too big to go anywhere else but outside.
        Keep us updated Lilyrose!

Comment

I planted mine out last night they were well hardened off and I've fleece handy if does drop cold.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by ukfapower View Post
            Mine have got very long and straggly and have been trying to grow up each other and everything near them. Time to put them out asap I would think.

Would it be an idea to cut them back to a couple of pairs of leaves to make them a bit more managable? Or will that put them off totally?
            I would say no.

Last year I got a tray of overgrown beans, reduced to £1, from my local GC - they were between 18inches and 2 feet tall and all twined around each other. I carefully untangled them and planted them in the gaps where my beans hadn't grown. I wrapped them gently round the canes (anticlockwise, remember) and tied a piece of jute string around near the top of each one just to hold them against the canes.

By the end of the week they were holding on to the canes themselves.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by ukfapower View Post

Would it be an idea to cut them back to a couple of pairs of leaves
              if you do that, you're cutting off unborn flowers (and their beans). Just gently untangle them and tie them in.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine have been outside for a week and youngest Golden Girl watered them tonight. They're fine.
                Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thanks for the advice, sounds like all hope is not lost. Have untangled them and put them outside. Will get them in this in this weekend. Might plant an extra bean seed near each one as backup in case any of them don't make it. Or for double the beans!

Comment

Mine have been out for a fortnight and they are looking great so far - apart from one that got nibbled by a slug/snail... luckily I have a few spares.
                    http://strawberryjubes.tumblr.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X