HOWWW many toms, whats your count?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris View Post
    Are they indeterminate or determinate? Or rather, if indeterminate how do you support them?
    You don't - they will root in the ground along the stem and snake around.

Comment

I have 19 baby plants of 3 varieties at the mo, but its just my first year GYOing! Alot of them are just back up seedlings though and will probably be composted. I plan to have 6 plants eventually (2 each of bush, tumbler and outdoors).

Comment

I've got maybe 10 plants on the go.
        I feel like I should have many more now though reading this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          You don't - they will root in the ground along the stem and snake around.

I remember you saying that, wondered if zen did the same as zaz
          Last edited by chris; 17-05-2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

I think I have 32 this year, last year I had 19. I think I have about 10 varieteies or so...need to check! A couple are for school, and |I will armpit for school sales. My first year tom growing was a disaster as they were covered in botrytus. Im now in my third year and have the hang of it more! (famous last words!!) All mine so far have been in flower buckets in the poly (concrete floor). BUt I will attempt a few at the lotty I think and let them do as they will a la zaz!

Ive really enjoyed exploring the world of tomatoes and love trying a new varieties. The anticipation of the first taste of a new one is fantastic!
            http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Wow !!!! I suddenly don't feel so OTT !!!
              My first year with a GH and I have 12 Gardeners Delight & 12 Minibel on the go...!!! A cannot begin to tell you all how excited I am !!!!!!!!!!!!!
              I think this might be my greenhouse ( very amateur) and other trivia blog page!!! Do feel free to drop in !

http://bradlo107.wordpress.com/

Comment

growing about 90, although I hae actually lost count. 8 varieities which will be in troughs and large 3 litres pots on balconies/patio and greenhouse and about 20 will go in bed. Looking forward to Sungold and marmande which are new for me this year. Last year made Passata, chutney (both green and ripe) and the cherry toms hardly got to the kitchen it was like eating honey capsules.

Already have fruits on my plants in the windowsills! 24 degrees forecast for next weekend. Yippee!

Comment

12 on the go, 2 each of 6 types. 10 for tunnel border and 2 for pots.
                  I see some people have planted into greenhouse/tunnel borders already. How are they doing? Are you heating or using fleece?

Comment

Mine are in a unheated GH and I cover them with fleece at night if the temps going to be low.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

20-30 in the end. A dozen or so in the greenhouse and as many as I feel enthusiastic about outside (although they don't do brilliantly outside up here). I've currently got 14 in their last but one pot size, and a load more (30 odd?) in 3 inch pots. Everything is now out in the unheated greenhouse. It has to be really cold to kill a tomato, and well below 5C before they start to sulk.
                      Garden Grower
                      Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

I have 12 under fleece in an unheated GH, checking them every night seem fine

fingers crossed the fleece can be removed soon

Comment

30 plants, 6 varieties (a couple grown especially for family).

My fetish is brassicas, my allotment is over half full of them. That said, sprouts and calabrase are liable to be washed prior to leaving and nibbled en route home!
                          Last edited by Andromeda; 17-05-2012, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                            not that many this year, probably 70 ish. I'm in the 'you can't have too many toms' except when it gets to about 250, because i'm the only one processing them, and the last time i did that, I was knackered for the rest of the year. Had lots of sugo though
                            same here with nine planted in the greenhouse, twelve orphaned to a new mum, must have fifty odd left and an urgent need for a polytunnel.
                            We eat them like smarties, or sliced in sandwiches with mozzarella. I roast all the ones we don't eat and make them into passata, which I then have to ram into the freezer.
                            I give veg away to next door (they are elderly and the best neighbours in the world) and I keep my mum supplied too.
                            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

At the last count I had 109 plants (containing over 20 varieties).

Far too many for the space I have. When I've finished planting my 2 GH's, some will go outside (Marmande), and some 'indoor' ones for comparison. Plus I'll give a couple to my mum, dad, friends, and maybe take some along to a carboot in early June.

Any spares after that will be grown on the patio in morrisons buckets wherever there is space!!
                              The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                              William M. Davies

Comment

well im growing around 10 varieties, with atleast 6 toms for each variety. so around 70 toms i think (havent counted ), but the ones im most looking forward to are the blue toms, the minibel and sunbaby (which i grew last year and tastes very similar to sungold)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X