No announcement yet.

Too Many Courgettes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that courgettes are so versatile that you can never have too many, I love them marinated with olive oil, garlic lemon and chilli, sprinkled with sea salt then chargrilled on the BBQ but my favourite is to dip them flowers and all in tempura batter and deep fry- delicious with a chilli dip. hmmmm maybe I should just plant a couple more? Definately going to be trying some of the courgette pickle recipes Ive been reading on here this year too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomato Head View Post
      I like that idea. How long do they keep like that?
      Ummmm, I don't know! Year or two? I do the same thing with tomatoes and that's how the courgette experiment started - because I had lots of corgies and didn't know what to do with them. Sometimes I pack the 2 together in the jar. Oregano/marjoram are the usual herbs that I use - because I have lots of it!
      As you will have gathered I made this up so there is no recipe! Try it and see

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Ummmm, experiment started - because I had lots of corgies and didn't know what to do with them. Sometimes I pack the 2 together in the jar. Oregano/marjoram are the usual herbs that I use - because I have lots of it!
        As you will have gathered I made this up so there is no recipe! Try it and see
        you bottle and eat corgies,shame on you VC,bet watch out you don't get sumoned the the palace
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I usually grow 4 [or 6 depending on how hard hearted to extras I'm being] It's enough for 3 people. Especially as of them doesn't really like courgettes
          I won't be growing yellow oens this year. They do tatste different to the green ones, but they don't last anywhere near as long once picked. I know you're supposed to use them immediately, but sometimes it's not feasible, if you have to stock up on them for enough for a cake for example, and they're brown and pocky before you've had chance to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
            you bottle and eat corgies,shame on you VC,bet watch out you don't get sumoned the the palace
            I always call them corgies (the veg) but never had to write it down before! It does look weird

Comment

I read the same "two is plenty" tip. I've got about 6 plants in the greenhouse - and I don't even like them!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanguevara1983 View Post
                I read the same "two is plenty" tip. I've got about 6 plants in the greenhouse - and I don't even like them!!!
                Hahaha Ryan you'd hate my mrs she's always having a moan with what im growing, good to see another 20 something Gardner too
                Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/growyourowngrub

Comment

I have 12 plants on the go, but that'll do for 3 families, 7 people in all, and what doesn't get eaten straight away will be made into ratatouille and frozen.
                  "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Originally posted by growyourowngrub View Post
                    i read elsewhere that 2 plants should Adequately supply an average family
                    ... an average family AND the neighbours, work colleagues and friends

I somehow grew 6 plants last year (because I had lots of varieties and wanted to compare) and just got sick of them. I'm even sick of the pickled ones, and turfed the last 3 kg of frozen ones onto the compost heap so I could defrost the chest freezer
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 06-05-2012, 06:08 AM.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                      if you have to stock up on them for enough for a cake ...
                      ... freeze them until you have enough
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Brilliant advice and feedback, thanks all
                        Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/growyourowngrub

Comment

hi i love courgette ( that was the only thing i grow last year) and now i have 2 plants that i start in march and they are already in flowers ( luckly they survived) and about 10 on the go and plus a lot more later in the season... but i am the only one to eat them.... as i suggest somewhere in thys forum ( i can find where exactly) if you realy love courgette you can eat the plant ( courgette, flower, leaves, stem) they are soooooooo gooood ( VC maybe can help me to find wich post was).. thats why i have so many...

plus... you can keep the courgette in different way as well: as we do in italy is grill them and keep in jar with oil ( you can make a mix with aubergine and pepper.. good as antipasto) you can cut in smal stick ( you can use a grater) cover with vinegar for 2 days ( the vinegar will cook the cougertte) then drain and keep in jar with oil... the plant ince you get rid of the prickly string on the stem you can chop i pieces and freez them ( even the baby courgette because they are hard and freeze well...

Comment

Here you are Sarico http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rgettes-2.html Round about Post 30,

Comment

Stuffed Corgies! Mince, herbs, corgie, rice. Then add cheese and bake. They are awesome!
                              Then there's corgie and carrot cake, that's very noice too!
                              I love the things, but got away with only one plant this year, as I had a few people at work who knew I liked them and had a constant oversupply from them as well
                              Of course we call them Zucchinni's here. Just to be different. Bit like the eggplant/aubergine thingamy. Ali
                              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                Here you are Sarico http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rgettes-2.html Round about Post 30,
                                thank VC i know i could count on you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X