No announcement yet.

Cucumbers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So a month since the last photo, I think they are doing what they should be??
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gclarke1985 View Post
      Hi all,

Aware these probably need potting up now, but can anyone tell me what the white spots on my cucumbers are (pic attached)?

Thanks
      GC
      The white spots are nothing to worry about. All nightshade plants succumb
      m to this. All it is is the plant has been watered a bit late in the evening and the water has been stored in the cells of the leaves until it can be properly used. Once it has these cells will die off and be replaced by tiny brown spots. Once again it's natural.

Comment

So a month since the last photo, I think they are doing what they should be??
        Those look amazing =D
        Remember though to pinch out any male flowers (those with out fruits near the stem base) if the plant isn't a hybrid female only type.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeds_lad View Post
          Those look amazing =D
          Remember though to pinch out any male flowers (those with out fruits near the stem base) if the plant isn't a hybrid female only type.
          Cheers, that's the problem, I can't remember if they are hybrid or not! All I remember was they were burpless!

I'll take a couple more photos in a bit so hopefully someone can give me an idea as to whether the flowers are male or female

Comment

Cheers, that's the problem, I can't remember if they are hybrid or not! All I remember was they were burpless!

I'll take a couple more photos in a bit so hopefully someone can give me an idea as to whether the flowers are male or female
            Ah It's easy to tell =). As i mentioned, check the flowers up close. If the flower is straight joined to the stem, it's a male flower. If the flower goes stem, tiny cucumber fruit with a flower "hat" on, it's a female. Keep the female as the fruit is the bit you need =-)

Though, I just double checked that. Some people have different ways of doing it. Some leave the male flowers on as this can amount to more fruit and some people take off the male flowers to stop the cucumbers going bitter. The biggest deciding factor is once again whether it's hybrid or now. It's it IS an F1 take off ALL male flowers you see. If it's not take off only a few, or none at all.
            Last edited by Leeds_lad; 31-05-2012, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Cheers leeds_lad. Found them on unwins website, appears they aren't hybrid so I'll be out checking for male and female flowers soon :-)

Comment

[QUOTE=gclarke1985;999841]Cheers, that's the problem, I can't remember if they are hybrid or not! All I remember was they were burpless!

have you got BURPLESS TASTY,
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

[QUOTE=lottie dolly;999870]

have you got BURPLESS TASTY,
                  They're the ones :-D

Comment

Burpless Tasty Green specifically says on the packet *not* to take off the male flowers - see here under the How To tab:
                    Burpless Tasty Green Cucumber Seeds | Marshalls Seeds

Hoping mine grow up to look as promising as yours!
                    March is the new winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeds_lad View Post
                      It's it IS an F1 take off ALL male flowers you see. If it's not take off only a few, or none at all.
                      Step away from the cucumber. Burpless tasty are an F1 but you definitely don't remove the males. Not unless you want diddly squat that is

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                        Step away from the cucumber. Burpless tasty are an F1 but you definitely don't remove the males. Not unless you want diddly squat that is
                        Really? All my F1 have had the male flowers removed and have done great. I guess there are some varieties that need them I guess!

Comment

I think it depends on whether it's a ridge or an outdoor or an all female or something. It's been explained on here upteen times I'm sure but I get confused. I do know that Burpless Tasty F1 need the males cos I'm growing em and I looked it up.

Comment

As the lady said ^^^^^^ Burpless Tasty F1 outdoor cumber male flowers left on.

Colin
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I tried the milk trick last year on my powdery-mildew infested courgettes and it did seem to help a little but it didn't get rid of the problem entirely, which in my view is probably impossible. You also need to keep applying every time it rains so it's quite labour intensive - I wouldn't bother with this again because the powdery mildew did not seem to affect my harvest too much.
                              http://strawberryjubes.tumblr.com/

Comment

Cheers all - I do have a couple of more photos - just to confirm which are the males and females, but have had limited internet due to my ISP!

I will leave all the flowers on now after reading the above though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X