X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• put lids on your water butts

I hope the same thing doesn't happen to you:

Today I had to fish a little drowned blackbird out of my water butt

The wind had blown the lid off, the fledgling had somehow tumbled in (learning to fly) and couldn't get back out, having not many feathers

Lids will also stop the mozzies laying their wretched eggs
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

What about your goldfish, 2S.? I thought you had fish in your butts.

Comment

I've had similar tragedies the last being an adult blue tit. I now have mesh over the top of the butt to prevent a recurrence.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        What about your goldfish, 2S.? I thought you had fish in your butts.
        I have 9 water butts, but fish in only 3 of them, the open-topped ones at home

Comment

That was what I couldn't understand - maybe mesh them as well like AP does? I found a drowned adult blackbird in a bucket of water. Its really hard to cover up all water in the garden - I hate it when something dies as a result of my negligence though.

Comment

Last year an OAP in Lincolnshire drowned in his by falling from a ladder next to his waterbutt. His wife wondered why he was so long and found him head down in the waterbutt. Must admit mine do have lids but never thought of fledglings falling in.

Comment

Mu husband insists that each full watering can stored by the butts has a tree branch in it to allow anything to drink from and climb out from.
              I do know how it feels though TS because the above rule came into force because of a blue tit drowning in one of our cans and the OH had to fish it out.

Comment

Thanks for that post Sanjo - I alway keep the lid on the butts, but never thought of the danger to birds drinking from the cans. - Will follow your good advice, thank you.

a-a

Comment

Surely thats a bit like saying "Put covers on your ponds, or your lakes, rivers or loch's..............or even the sea!

I have about 10 water butts but only have a cover on one..............the one I use for the chooks drinking water!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    Surely thats a bit like saying "Put covers on your ponds, or your lakes, rivers or loch's..............or even the sea!
                    So you don't think it's a good, kind, decent thing to do?

Comment

Nah.............kinder to leave them uncovered and let the birds sit on the edge and get a drink!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have about 10 water butts but only have a cover on one..............the one I use for the chooks drinking water!
                        Open water isn't a problem Snadge, it's when birds fall into a confined space they get into difficulty

Comment

The birds love drinking from our pond but I make sure there are piles of flat stones on the shelves as a way out for any who might fall in.

Comment

I've got a bath with a plank in it, at a slope, so the birds can happily drink and bathe. The rest of the water containers have lids or mesh coverings. I learned the hard way too

Comment

me too but it was a massive bee who shredded half of one of it's wings.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X