Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotPercyThrower View Post
    It works for me.
    Right up until you want a pile of grass cuttings.

Sounds a really neat solution though - could see the grass mountain from such a big lawn would be an issue.

My dad kept a grass cuttings pile when we were kids. Worms as big as snakes in it.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
      Fresh chicken poo is a bit "hot" to apply direct. .
      Plus, it's got the potential to make you ill ~ I would compost it before you use it, myself.

"Salmonella spp. have been known for many years to cause serious infection in humans. More recently, other pathogenic bacteria like Escherichia coli O157:H7, Campylobacter jejuni, Listeria monocytogenes, Yersinia enterocolitica and Mycobacterium spp. have emerged as important
      sources of infection for humans." source
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You haven't put your location in your profile NPT (welcome to the Vine BTW). If you live near me, could you do a little diversion next time you cut the grass?
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thnaks for the advice on the chicken poo. I have some well-rotted so it won't be a problem. I just need to get in and build some compost bins, as it's just a big pile at the moment and I need to turn it and sort the old from the new and get a system going.

Florencefennel I live in Wiltshire so sadly won't be able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by NotPercyThrower View Post

Florencefennel I live in Wiltshire so sadly won't be able to help.
            NPT, if you add your location to your profile it will show up on your posts (top right hand side - you can see that I live in Lowestoft, and Flo in Sheffield)

Comment

Sell the mower, dig the grass up and stack upside down, and plant veggies, it's much more productive and it looks a lot better. Not forgetting a nice big compost bin in the corner
              "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I tend to leave the grass in our 'orchard' area to grow wild, with the wild flowers in it - although we do cut pathways through it with the mower. We then usually use the mowings to mulch around the trees. Mowings from elsewhere are used for mulch or just go on the compost heap - I can't believe how hot they get inside if you leave them in a big heap either! Steaming! How deep can I use fresh grass clippings on veggie beds? Is it 4"?
                sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

I put it 4 inches and a couple of weeks later it will have dropped so you can add more.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    Plus, it's got the potential to make you ill ~ I would compost it before you use it, myself.
                    But that's only if you eat it. Obviously good hand washing is essential after gardening anyway. If you have children about then you would have to be more careful.

Richard.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X