how many shoots on potato seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many shoots on potato seed

Having chitted my seed potatoes I have several shoots on each one. How many should be left on when planting? Do I just leave one and rub the others off ?
    Thanks
    johntheeng

I don't remove any chits, myself. Others do, they say that fewer chits equals bigger spuds; more chits, smaller spuds
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

mine often get planted without chitting, so they make as many as they want to

Comment

If there are any long thin spindly ones I take them off - because they make the spud look untidy! (and they'd probably snap off anyway when planted out).

Comment

just pop them in,chitted or not,but remove any long white root sprouts first,they'll still do what spudz do,after all,the little one that got missed last year soon find the way up,
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Rubbing them off just delays them and they re grow,if you want fewer chits,they need to be cut out.

Comment

I just plant with whatever chits form. Some spuds are hard to chit and get planted without.

Ian

Comment

They can also be divided if chits are on both ends but it's not encouraged.

How to Divide, Cut or Split Seed Potatoes « TopVeg – growing veg,fruit&herbs
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I almost always cut up a few of my spuds when I plant, get the number I need then without spending more and you just pick the ones with sufficient eyes and they're fine, never noticed any difference in crop amount.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X