What's happening to these tom leaves?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
    Those do look as if they could do with more light. Can you move them nearer the window?
    That picture was taken in the evening on a dull day. The toms are in a conservatory with a clear perspex roof.

Comment

And the bad news is that more of my Golden Grape toms have leaf curl.

The Aranyalma and Money Maker seedlings are fine. I don't see how they can develop properly if the leaves are all curled up.

What should I do?

Comment

I would say that if it's just that variety then there's not much you can do.

Perhaps move some to different locations; and see if any recover. It might be too much sun - you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
          And the bad news is that more of my Golden Grape toms have leaf curl.

The Aranyalma and Money Maker seedlings are fine. I don't see how they can develop properly if the leaves are all curled up.

What should I do?
          Hang on to them and see how they go.

Comment

Will do. It's annoying because they were doing so well.

Comment

Are you still getting new leaves?

Are they in the same compost as the others?

Did you add a feed to them that the others haven't had?
              Last edited by zazen999; 11-04-2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                Are you still getting new leaves?

Are they in the same compost as the others?

Did you add a feed to them that the others haven't had?
                Yes new leaves.
                Yes same compost.
                No feed. I thought you weren't supposed to feed until flowering? Is that right?

Comment

Yes, Donna, it is right.
                  Honestly, hun, I don't think you've got anything to worry about! They look otherwise healthy, they are putting on growth and are a decent colour. Mine did this last year, and I got myself in a sweat as well, but they grew and produced a lovely crop with no prob. It IS probably due to temperature fluctuations, but most people cannot be on hand to make sure the temp stays at the ideal. This time of year it can be blazing sunshine one minute and hailstones of Biblical proportions the next (as we all know!). Try not to worry - carry on as you are, I'm sure they'll sort themselves out..
                  When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Yes new leaves.
                    Yes same compost.
                    No feed. I thought you weren't supposed to feed until flowering? Is that right?
                    Yes, just checking!

Comment

I'll try to stop looking at them so much!

The temperature can fluctuate a lot as CT says. When I got home from work the other day my ' sewn too early' beans were wilting, but I opened the door and windows and they were fine within an hour. Then the sun went in and it got quite chill so closed everything up again. In the initial panic when I saw them I was tempted to water them but to be honest they didn't need it.

Comment

Where did the seeds come from?

I ask because it looks vaguely like 'what happens when you have aminopyralid poisoning' but if everything is the same, it may be that the seeds may have been harvested from plants that were grown in contaminated manure - but it's highly unlikely. If you got them from HSL direct - then it may be worth a call in to ask their opinion.

Comment

Look at this one too. Only one of these.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28258[/ATTACH]

It's giving the world the one finger!
                          My indoor ones (in a room which really, is too warm for them) are like this. They're very "soft" too, going to take a good session of hardening them off. The ones in my GH however, aren't (same varieties, same compost, same batch of seeds).

Comment

Some of my toms are curly, some aren't. I've not noticed it make any difference to the growth and crop in previous years. i find mine curl up when I repot them - then slowly uncurl. i repot outdoors (my toms are 1-1.5ft tall now!) so it was colder, windy etc and I think general changes in condition make them do it

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                              Where did the seeds come from?

I ask because it looks vaguely like 'what happens when you have aminopyralid poisoning' but if everything is the same, it may be that the seeds may have been harvested from plants that were grown in contaminated manure - but it's highly unlikely. If you got them from HSL direct - then it may be worth a call in to ask their opinion.
                              The seeds were from HSL, one of the six you get when you join with Garden Organic. I did think about getting in touch with them. You don't get much information about the seeds apart from what one of the seed savers say. Also the growing advice is very generalised and therefore a bit vague. Maybe they assume that people that join are more experienced growers.

Maybe I should just get in touch with them and see if they know more about leaf curl.

Comment

I'm bumping this thread because I'm having more probs with my toms and searching threads throws up too many to read through.

All of my toms have been grown in the same conditions and compost.

This is what's happening to Money Maker plants. Following potting up.

This is the top growth of the same plant.

This is one of my Golden Grape plants which were the subject of this thread originally. Some of you may remember that the leaves were curling in on themselves.

Can anybody tell me what the problem is in picture 1. The strange thing is that I have a money maker plant that had lost a few leaves so I put it in the garden a couple of weeks ago in a smaller pot than the others because I has short of space. Now it's the healthiest looking one of the lot and only has the discolouration on the bottom leaf.
                                Last edited by donnakebab; 25-05-2012, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X