No announcement yet.

Improving clay soil - Lost Garden Newbie

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there is indeed so much to take in, i am getting there and know just what im going to do now and throughout the year.

i have been digging away when the weather alows it and ive a huge pile of roots already and still a way to go. i now have to get a move on as i have my years supply of compost and manure arriving on monday. now i have to decide what areas to manure and layout of the beds, hight of plants... Oh my... plenty more planning ahead. it is fun though so not a chore.

ive gone for 20x75 litre bags mushroom compost, and 20x75 litre bags of cattle manure and mushroom compost mix. £125 delivered seems a good deal for near 3 cubic metres of material.
    a bit will be going into the soil, most will be for mulching throughout the year along with any grass clipping i can get.

Dynamo - no spuds left in the cupboard, ive already eaten them all.. im addicted to roasties!

Creemteez - thanks for the spud suggestions, pentland javelin sounds fantastic, and pink fir apple look like a lot of fun and both are on my list. great tips on what to follow the potatoes up with and tip on adding lime if needed.

have more of the garden tools i need on the way, went on a seed shopping spree and awaiting a heated propagator. just seed compost and i can get on with trying to tempt a few seeds to burst into life.

Alfalfa seeds on the way, which will go in unused areas of the garden that i want to cultivate next year.. the whole green manure thing has been very interesting to learn about.

very very busy times

while digging over the areas i have found white patches of fungus or mould its in the soil not on the surface, does anyone know if it is good or bad? it digs in and disappears easily, has no bad smell, just a pleasant earthy smell still where i find it.
    there were a LOT of roots in this area, some weeds and lots of woody roots from other plants, some live roots and some dead. ive googed it abit and seems its probably good but cant be sure.
    just normal decomposition organisms at work? or something bad?

Comment

I come across that every now and then Woody, I just assume it's an old unharvested veg that past me by and ended up rotting. I just dig it in and try not to think about it. The first time I found it, I panicked that someone had polluted my plot with poison

Sounds like you're doing great
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Bottom line my friend is you can rotivate 24/7 but clay soil will only change through adding plenty of SHARP SAND(gradually through winter,about 4 digs),COMPOST/WELL ROTTED MANURE,TIME(at least 3 winters)and leaving BIG DEEP CLUMPS well exposed after digging so any frost over winter can really help break it all down.Meantime there are many crops you can grow and enjoy in clay soil which will also aid in its breakdown.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X