Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeding

Hi Guys,

I hate weeding as I have a bad back due to kidney problems when I was younger and spending a while pulling weeds seems to set it off. Just noticed the vid on the homepage and wondered has anyone tried the new roundup and does it work? I do not want to fork out for it only to find it not effective particularly if I did a big area.

Otherwise what tips do you guys have to make weeding easier? I was thinking of investing in one of the special tools but they cost alot and, being 24, I think I may look a little silly using it - vain I know but it is something I care about

Thanks,

Si

Get yourself a good sharp long handled hoe. A very underated garden tool. Stand erect and cut the divils off at ground level. I wouldn't bother with new gadgets, I'd go for the tried and tested through years of use.

They can be picked up at charity shops and jumble sales for 'not a lot'.

Cheers, Tony.
    Last edited by Kleftiwallah; 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM.
    Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Tony, I like the idea of 'not a lot'!

Comment

Mulching will help to suppress weeds.

Comment

Mulching. 6 weeks weed growth on both beds. Guess which one was mulched with grass clippings?

I recommend cardboard weighed down with anything you can find. After a week or two or more - cut a hole in the cardboard and plant through.
          Attached Files

Comment

i say get ya self a flame thrower my Step dad has one and it works on docks like a dream took them a year to show again and he just burnt them right off ... just dont do it near dry leaves.....soooo not a good idea ...Ooops
            Last edited by Bexy; 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM.
            Only after the last tree has been cutdown Only after the last river has been poisoned Only after the last fish has been caught Only then will you find
            That money cannot be eaten
            Cree indian

Comment

I totally agree with Kleftiwallah, little and often with the hoe.

Comment

My intentions have always been to have a regular hoe...time, so many times takes over and the weeds take over even more.

This year, I plan on mulching as much as I can. I'm sure the odd weed or two...more than likely bloody thistles...will poke through, just hoping it will be more manageable, at the same time adding a little to the structure of the soil.
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Kinnell ZAZEN if I had weeds like that the allotment gestapo would be giving mea final notice

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
                    Kinnell ZAZEN if I had weeds like that the allotment gestapo would be giving mea final notice
                    It was a new plot and covered in fat hen so every time you weeded or dug it over new seeds came to light...it's not an allotment it's at a local amenity club but they let small plots to SEN schools...so we had dug it over and whoosh - the fat hen was up in no time. However mulching did the trick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X