No announcement yet.

Garlic Trouble

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think garlic soldiers on through frost. Not too sure, if folks fleece it. Other than feeding, have left mine alone. Is all stood to attention, like a troupe of tin soldiers. Tis a fairly robust creature.
    Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

The only two plant foods i have are Orchid bio, and ericahous for my blue berrys can i use either of them?
      Only after the last tree has been cutdown Only after the last river has been poisoned Only after the last fish has been caught Only then will you find
      That money cannot be eaten
      Cree indian

Comment

Wayhay,50 min's searching & found it Nitrogen deficiency was the general consensus ......

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...low_30336.html
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

bexy - my garlic went in in october / november - leaves are a bit yellowy, same as every year - i'd say just leave it and see - don't fleece it, garlic is fine with frost / snow etc
          if the yellowing leaves is due to soil deficiency, it doesn't mean the soil is no good and your crop is ruined, it just means it's not as perfect as it could be - you'll still get garlic tho - it's grown big leaves, the bulbs should grow too - could be worth improving the soil for next year tho
          i sometimes have bulbs that don't split - they're called "rounds" - they can be used as they are in the normal way, or they can be stored dry for a couple of months and replanted in autumn
          http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

so i should let them bee no extra food?

sorry about all the questions its just im new to all this and i have been so proud of them growing so well
            Only after the last tree has been cutdown Only after the last river has been poisoned Only after the last fish has been caught Only then will you find
            That money cannot be eaten
            Cree indian

Comment

relax bexy .... your garlic looks fine to me ....

even if you think it's best to feed them, don't rush to do it just yet .... wait and see what other advice you get before doing anything .... it's your call whether to feed or not!

feeding is unlikely to do any harm .... if you're still unsure, maybe feed some and not others .... that way you can compare both and see whether feeding made any real difference ....

i tend to grow most of my garlic in pots of general purpose compost, but only because i can move them around the veggie patch .... garlic is supposed to confuse certain critters and keep them off the gooseberries .... it's not worked too well so far .... my garlic leaves always go yellow .... but i always get garlic ....
              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bexy View Post
                Shall i Fleece them if its frost damage? i dont wanna lose them
                Garlic comes from Siberia It'll be fine

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                Nitrogen deficiency was the general consensus ...
                Nitrogen is freely available, and er... free

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                i sometimes have bulbs that don't split - they're called "rounds"
                Is that the same as wet garlic ?
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Garlic does have a habit of 'voiding' its older leaves as new leaves grow. I'm forever taking the lower dying/dead leaves off mine.
                  If a garlic or leek plant has twisting flags (like yours have)its a sure sign that its in active growth and is thriving.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'd have said a deficiency. Couldn't think off the top of my head what, but i had the same last year and found it to be nitrogen (think i got that from here?). Anyway i, like Two_Sheds points out, made use of our, erm... free nitrogen source.

Comment

Pretty much whats been said really. Not worth feeding at the moment, it would probably put on a lot of leaf growth and not bulb up, just keep them watered at this time of year and pull off any brown bits. The frostier the better for them too. Feed the soil with nitrogen next autumn a few weeks before planting.
                      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

The compost I've used to grow my garlic and onions in is starting to go green (currently white in most places)... Is this bad?

GC

Comment

green on the compost? Like algae? Overwatering

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                            green on the compost? Like algae? Overwatering
                            Cheers two heads... Shall I just stop watering for a while then?

Comment

Um ... yeah

*checks number of heads

Comment

At least it's not two faced
                                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X