Potting On Courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pies View Post
    there going to be big or dead before you plant them out or are you planting them in a greenhouse?
    I was going to put them outside in morrisons pots.
    The way its going i may have to give them to my sister to put in her gh, she was going too have some anyway.
    I didnt think they would grow that big that quick.

I sowed 8 and 7 came up so I'm doing pretty well until i lose my kitchen to them

Comment

I'm not sowing mine till the end of April. If I can sit on my hands that long....

Comment

Originally posted by cardiffsteve View Post
        lol

They're certainly vigorous
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

End of April for me too, have done them before but later ones always catch up so one less thing to worry about for a few weeks.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

How deep do I pot courgettes?
            Is it top of roots/bottom of stem level with new soil in pot?
            Gulp - are you having a heat wave down there?
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I really don't know what to say CS?
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                lol

They're certainly vigorous
                your not kidding. I just dont know where to put them.

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                Gulp - are you having a heat wave down there?
                It has been very warm here. think it was above 20 deg C quite a few days last week.

Wish I knew what i was doing.

Comment

It's going cold for a while. Supposed to have snow here on Wednesday so I'm gonna wait till the end of the month.

My table and windowsill are full in the conservatory. I have a set of shelves that I can utilise though. By the time I sew courgette and squash I need to have stuff moved out to the blowaway.

The only way is up.

Comment

Courgettes already I've not even thought about them, Till now! I'll sow them later in the month I think.
                    Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                    Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                    -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

I just dont know where to put them
                      Somewhere light, somewhere warm but not too hot. Have you got an east facing windowsill?

Wish I knew what i was doing.
                      This is how we learn: by doing.

Don't sweat it, just do it slightly later next year. You can be all smug when you're eating courgettes a month before the rest of us
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        Somewhere light, somewhere warm but not too hot. Have you got an east facing windowsill?
                        i wish i knew that before... last year when i started for the very first time to grow my own i plant them at the end of may almost.. but this year i thought to grow them early so every day i put them in my blowaway.. big mistake, with the heat almost all the leaves are curl and dry... i sow more now and will see how they grow

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post
                        It's going cold for a while. Supposed to have snow here on Wednesday so I'm gonna wait till the end of the month.
                        i heard that as well... i don't think will snow.. btw after easter is gonna be nice again... i can't wait.. i even decide to sow some every couple of week after april considered that i have a lot of seeds and you may think is wierd but in south italy we eat orecchiette pasta with courgette plant (i mean leaves, flowers and baby courgette) much tasty than other veg... ( i think you should try but before you cooking use a peeler to take the prickly skin)

Comment

I went early with some experimental courgette and cukes and now have a well established plant of each...
                          Hope this expected bad weather passes quickly but can stay on my window cill for a while more...
                          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarico View Post
                            in south italy we eat orecchiette pasta with courgette plant (i mean leaves, flowers and baby courgette) much tasty than other veg... ( i think you should try but before you cooking use a peeler to take the prickly skin)
                            Sarico, Can you tell me a little bit more about eating courgette leaves please. I presume they need to be small. Do you peel the leaves? I've eaten the flowers many times stuffed and fried but never the leaves. Thank you.
                            Last edited by veggiechicken; 02-04-2012, 10:52 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Sarico View Post

i heard that as well... i don't think will snow.. btw after easter is gonna be nice again... i can't wait.. i even decide to sow some every couple of week after april considered that i have a lot of seeds and you may think is wierd but in south italy we eat orecchiette pasta with courgette plant (i mean leaves, flowers and baby courgette) much tasty than other veg... ( i think you should try but before you cooking use a peeler to take the prickly skin)
                              Me too recipe please!

Comment

is a simple dish.. as VC say you eat the young leaves i would say not bigger then 20 cm otherwise are hard... with the peeler you peel the stem of the leaf and use only 25 30 cm of them for the same reason that the bottom bit is hard to eat...or if you want use a knife to pull all the prickly bit like when you do for the celery to pull the string out.. afte that chop everything in pieces i mean stem, leaves, small courgette, and if you have some flower just keep them for now.. now put a pan with water and salt when is boiling drop all the pieces ( except the flower)for about 5 min. after put the pasta to cook inside... when the pasta is cooked drain everything and toss in a pan with olive oil, garlic and the flowers ( if you want you can add some anchovies as well to give an extra flavour).
                                the courgette plant is good as well with chilly, capers and some hard grated goat cheese cheese (in italy is call pecorino cheese)
                                enjoy.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X