New Poll! What is your worst weed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone

If you let us know your favourites as you have been doing, we can still count them as votes! Remember everyone gets different weeds in different areas and we had planned to add in an other box for 'other' but a glitch in the system as we posted said otherwise, so please do let us know what weed is most problematic for you! Couch weed could win it yet!

Comment

Its a really difficult question to answer though. I get the majority of weeds mentioned in this thread and they all affect you in different ways. As someone said, the likes of Chickweed is a pain when your growing peas and beans, but Couch Grass and Dandelions and Dock can be equally as nausiating when they are growing in the middle of a clump of strawberries. I also have problems with Nettle, Bramble, Horsetail and Thistle which all have really deep roots in various places on my lottie and keep showing all the time.

Comment

Couch grass for me - though I am winning...I AM! I AM! I AAAAAAMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

C'm... Closely followed by Dandilions. The last couple of years has there has been an explosion of them. Anyone else noticed the custard-yellow road verges? I put it down to councils cutting back on verge mowing to save money.
        When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Couch Grass and Clover, this year clover has just pipped Couch Grass.
          HAPPY 'Growing My Own'
          Dale

Comment

bindweed
            I'm also surprised couch grass is not on the list, though for me it's "only" number two
            creeping buttercup
            and non-couch grass species are pretty bad too, I'm experimenting with growing only creeping clover in the paths, but that's a long-term project.

Comment

Where are dandelion and couch on this list please??? Will note vote until they are on - am on strike along with those other peeps!!
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I fear its is only bindweed that is holding my ramshackle compost area together! I spent hours following the roots towards the plot and carefully pulling them up - it got strangely addictive and a bit competitive to see how long a piece I could get out in one go! It will never be gone as most comes from my neighbours but I am battling a line before it reached the first main bed!

Comment

I seem to remember that the old fashioned way of telling the pH of your ground was to look at the types of weeds growing there. Seems like a dose of manure or lime could "cure" a lot of our troubles...but I wonder - quite apart from the fact that we would want to grow crops that needed a different pH to what we ended up with - would the likes of bindweed and couch just feast merrily ?
                  There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Hairy Bittercress here - I have spent at least 6 hours this week removing the blinkin' stuff from various gardens.

Horsetail and Cleavers/Goose Grass are a nuisance, brambles and nettles are a pain (literally, sometimes) and Ground Elder is too persistent for words. But Hairy Bittercress is the worst, in my opinion, because you have to deal with it when you find it. Leaving it until next week's visit means it will have already seeded. I hate it.
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Brambles, stinging nettles and IVY!!!
                      I pull up one ivy and ten more appear!
                      I don't know if it is classified as a weed, but it is a pain.

~*~

Changed to bindweed, now that I know what it is.
                      Last edited by MyLifeWithAndrew; 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM.
                      My Very Bleak Garden Blog

Reece & The Chicks

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
                      Revelation 22:2

Comment

We only moved here the middle of last year so we haven't had a full season to assess the full round but so far the problem weeds are:

Ground elder - it's strangling borders, under some of the trees and is moving into grass areas
                        Couch grass - we are digging it up in all the vegetable beds
                        Docks - these have self seeded everywhere
                        Celendine - it's spread across the lawn and borders

I've voted for creeping buttercup as it is everywhere and the field next to us is full of it, but ground elder is turning out to be the bigger problem.

Comment

On the allotment, none of the options given. The area alongside the polytunnel is heavily infested with couch grass. I've removed as much root as possible, but undoubtedly will have left some behind, so I think I'm going to be battling it for some years.
                          Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

My worst weed is the dreaded bindweed... unless you count the procrastinating human weed not wielding the hoe and failing to keep on top of it (yours truly!)
                            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Snowberries. I've seen them described as a good plant for beginners as they grow "reasonably quickly". Yeah, I saw some grow 6 inches in a day last week. It will happily grow through 2 feet of added soil even after being horribly mutilated. Still, it's making a good mulch.

Brambles and nettles are literally a pain if you've not got good gloves on, but at least the latter is edible and brambles have berries. I wish I could eat the snowberries, just to spite them, but unfortunately they are poisonous to humans.

Comment

Have spent a year clearing an allotment that had not been used for at least 5 years. The head high brambles had provided a tremendous framework of support for bindweed. Rampant horseradish from a long left tenant, native (ie. non-bocking 14) comfrey. I dream of a time when annuals like chickweed and bittercress are my biggest problem. They may seed quickly but they do only seed.
                                I am frustrated by my dismally functional choice of Username. Grr...
                                You can call me Al.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X