Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
    What wood would that be Steve? You told me off for calling you Wood Eye
    Ms Fennel I would never tell anyone off.

Comment

Water on leaves magnifying heat - wow. I never knew that. I'm pretty sure in the past that I've watered on leaves on a hot day because I was thinking it would cool them down, just like it would cool me down. Who woulda thunk?!

Note to self - plants and people, two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by jdlondon View Post
        Water on leaves magnifying heat
        It's another gardening myth: Sunburnt plants 'myth' is debunked - Telegraph

"However ... the team found that leaves with small wax hairs are susceptible to leaf burn. This is because the hairs can hold the water droplets in focus above the leaf’s surface, acting as a magnifying glass" source
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Good to know. And ever since my run-in with powdery mildew, I'm going to be careful anyway when it comes to watering.

Comment

Powdery Mildew is hard to avoid: just try and keep susceptible plants well watered

Comment

Actually the experts have not said that sunburn/scorch doesn't happen, thats just a journo looking for a headline.

What they really said was "The most likely times for sunburn to occur were actually early morning or late afternoon when the sun is lower"

Therefore sunburn/scorch can happen. If you then extrapolate the thesis sunburn/scorch is more likely to happen at this time of year due to the sun being lower in the sky in the northern hemisphere.

Colin
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

^ but why though? What's the science bit?

Comment

The science is contained in the article refered to by the journo, the only thing they are on about is that the old adage about watering at midday is wrong not that sunburn/scorch doesn't happen.

Colin
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I read the article, but I still can't see the explanation, just the conclusion.

" the most likely times for sunburn to occur were actually early morning or late afternoon, when the sun is lower, rather than at midday when it is at its highest and hottest."

but ...

"When water droplets were placed on leaves ...then left out in the sun at various times of the day until the water had evaporated, they found no evidence of leaf burn."

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      .... rather than at midday when it is at its highest and hottest."
                      So strange. But then again, with the 'no evidence' thing as well, it's pretty obvious some other factor/s is involved, probably something like pressure or ozone or wind or hell, magnetic forces etc etc! All quite fascinating really.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                        I have had my peppers and chillis, plus toms and 3 gherkins and one serpent squash in pots in my unheated greenhouse - sat in seed trays for 3 weeks now - and I have 2 panes of glass still missing. I fleeced them for a few nights but they all seem fine out there. They were hardened off for a few days before they went out at night.
                        You are much braver than I am... I moved all my seedlings to a workshop at the end of the garden (huge south-facing window) only to bring them all back in to my sun room a week or two ago when the weather dropped to -4C. I am too scared I will lose all my green kids! I am giving it until the end of this week.
                        http://strawberryjubes.tumblr.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X