Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris View Post
    -her dogs love carrots
    Most (if not all) dogs love carrots: they're really satisfying to crunch on, and brilliant when they explode into a million little bits that you can then leave all over the house for The Hoover Fairy to clean up
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Most (if not all) dogs love carrots: they're really satisfying to crunch on, and brilliant when they explode into a million little bits that you can then leave all over the house for The Hoover Fairy to clean up
      I have Mary, the Hoover Fairy, who cleans up all the little bits that her tooth-deficient mother, Rosie, spits out. She's very good on under the table crumbs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        ^ you can't transplant carrots. You need to sow them in their final places
        I sowed my carrots into loo rolls last year and then planted out into their pots. They grew just fine, no forking, although they were a little small, but i put that down to starting them in August or something daft like that. Trying it again this year so i'll know for sure.

Comment

Hi Jason, pot your tomato seedlings on into three inch (across the top) pots of good quality multi-purpose compost. Fill the pot with compost, firm lightly, then stick your finger into it right down to almost the bottom of the pot and wiggle it a bit to enlarge the hole. Gently lever up a seedling - an old dining fork is quite good for this - trying not to damage the root in the process. HOLD THE SEEDLING BY THE LEAVES ONLY - IT IS VERY EAST TO SQUASH THE STEM. Transfer the seedling to the new pot, easing the root right down to the bottom of the hole so that most of the stem is BELOW the soil level. (This is a good idea as your tomato plant will put out extra roots from the stem -which will strengthen it). Firm the compost round it gently so that the seed leaves are just skimming the surface of it. Stand the pot in a saucer of water for ten minutes or so. This is the best way to water seedlings as it helps prevent damping off (rotting) Stand the pot in bright - but not direct sunlight and sit back and watch it take off. It should be fine with just a weekly watering (as above) until it is time to move it to it's final position. When the weather warms up you can harden them off by standing the pots outside, but make sure you shelter them from any cold wind and bring them in at night until they have got used to it. Good luck!
          When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Originally posted by Maccabee View Post
            I sowed my carrots into loo rolls last year and then planted out into their pots. They grew just fine
            Yes, they do, because you're not disturbing the root It's not the same as sowing into a plastic pot and then trying to transplant
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-03-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccabee View Post
              I sowed my carrots into loo rolls last year and then planted out into their pots. They grew just fine, no forking, although they were a little small, but i put that down to starting them in August or something daft like that. Trying it again this year so i'll know for sure.
              Very labour intensive way of sowing carrots. Was it one seed per loo roll?????
              When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

I was just wondering the other day about maybe sowing a few carrots in newspaper pots after reading about sowing 3 or 4 beetroot and then planting out as a clump. Has anyone tried this with carrots?

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                  Hi Jason, pot your tomato seedlings on into three inch (across the top) pots of good quality multi-purpose compost. Fill the pot with compost, firm lightly, then stick your finger into it right down to almost the bottom of the pot and wiggle it a bit to enlarge the hole. Gently lever up a seedling - an old dining fork is quite good for this - trying not to damage the root in the process. HOLD THE SEEDLING BY THE LEAVES ONLY - IT IS VERY EAST TO SQUASH THE STEM. Transfer the seedling to the new pot, easing the root right down to the bottom of the hole so that most of the stem is BELOW the soil level. (This is a good idea as your tomato plant will put out extra roots from the stem -which will strengthen it). Firm the compost round it gently so that the seed leaves are just skimming the surface of it. Stand the pot in a saucer of water for ten minutes or so. This is the best way to water seedlings as it helps prevent damping off (rotting) Stand the pot in bright - but not direct sunlight and sit back and watch it take off. It should be fine with just a weekly watering (as above) until it is time to move it to it's final position. When the weather warms up you can harden them off by standing the pots outside, but make sure you shelter them from any cold wind and bring them in at night until they have got used to it. Good luck!
                  I managed to transfer the 2 seedlings into a new pot. I didn't have another plant pot so i pierced some holes into an old paint tub and put them in there, feed them with a bit of tomato food and put them back into stepsons bedroom. Just wait and see what happens.

The carrots, under the propagator top, i abandoned and sown some more in a large veg bag

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PMW View Post
                    sowing a few carrots in newspaper pots ... Has anyone tried this with carrots?
                    You don't want anything with a bottom to it, or the root will hit the bottom and bend. I have done loo rolls ~ look in my albums on here for pickies

Originally posted by Jason Cartwright View Post
                    2 seedlings into a new pot....feed them with a bit of tomato food
                    You don't want to be feeding until the plant starts to produce fruit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X