No announcement yet.

Homemade Root trainers!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks BM - I was looking at that earlier. They "encourage vigorous & strong root formation; roots grow straight, avoiding root balls and pot bound plants". That's all a bit woolly speak for my enquiring mind!!
    Do your "roots" grow into the ridges, as in the dreadlock pic?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      A question for the Root trainer owners, please. Are you sure that the purpose of the vertical grooves is to "train" roots to grow downwards? Surely a root would only circle and form a rootball if the pot were not deep enough or the plant was potbound.
      Having examined the contents of my plastic recycling collection (must get a real hobby) I believe that the vertical grooves are there to add rigidity, stability and robustness to the pot. You find vertical grooves on triangular sandwich packets, fruit punnets, biscuit and chocolate trays and they will be on the sides that need the most protection to avoid damage to the contents.
      So, I need proof that a seed with a deep root would not grow just as well in a deep, smooth sided container as in one with vertical grooves!
      Yes I'm certain and they do grow vertically rather than around.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Thanks BM - I was looking at that earlier. They "encourage vigorous & strong root formation; roots grow straight, avoiding root balls and pot bound plants". That's all a bit woolly speak for my enquiring mind!!
        Do your "roots" grow into the ridges, as in the dreadlock pic?
        Yes they do and because the trainers are sat about a quarter of an inch off the bottom of the tray, the roots come out of the bottom, hit the air, die and produce more roots.
        Last edited by Bigmallly; 06-03-2012, 02:23 PM.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I don't think it is a case that the seeds don't grow as well, they are just trained to grow straight which must benefit the plant.
          Last edited by Bigmallly; 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM. Reason: It would help if I could spell
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks VVG and BM for your advice. I shall see what happens to my solitary broad bean and, at the first sign of a root anywhere near the bottom, I'll suspend the pot using yet another Royal Mail elastic band. Watch this space!!

Comment

A question for the Root trainer owners, please. Are you sure that the purpose of the vertical grooves is ...
              I have several RTs, and the purpose of them is to spill compost all over the place and alternately confound/depress/frustrate TS about using them

(I don't like them, they're messy)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                I have several RTs, and the purpose of them is to spill compost all over the place and alternately confound/depress/frustrate TS about using them

(I don't like them, they're messy)
                I don't find them messy at all...are you leaving the seedlings in there until the roots fill the bottoms?

Comment

I have some RTs that I use mainly for sweet peas. I use those large yoghurt pots to pot on tomatoes, but I don't cut them up. When it's time to pot them on I just put my fingers around the plant and tip the pot up. I do however wish you well with your experiment VC
                  Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Oh, I've been saving all forms of cardboard rolls etc plus milk cartons to stand them in for when my seeds need to be transplanted, I'll carry on and keep my fingers crossed that my plants are happy going round in circles !

Comment

I like them, apart from the bit where you have to push the last row in, it's always a bit tight
                      My roots from peas and beans and sweetcorn have grown in the past like the picture BM put up.

Comment

Thanks Taff. These 'ere root trainer thingys seem to be either liked or loathed, if the other thread is anything to go by.http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rainers-2.html
                        If the 2 big niggles are getting the compost in and fitting the last row in, I reckon I'm going to have to buy some, just to see for myself! -After my solitary broadbean does its stuff, of course.
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 07-03-2012, 08:23 PM. Reason: adding link before I'm told off!

Comment

it's not that hard honestly, fit them all together, squash them all in, then throw handfuls of compost on top, and bang it on the table a couple of times to go down, then throw another couple of handfuls on, bang it again. Push the seeds in, water, top up any ones that aren't fully composted up.

well, that's how I do it.
                          and that's my how-to for the year done :0

Comment

Taff, thank you for sharing your technique - I can see that you have to treat them very gently!
                            Last edited by veggiechicken; 07-03-2012, 08:27 PM. Reason: typo - tut, tut!!

Comment

The only thing I can think of at the minute is those corrugated thingymabobs on takeout coffee cups to stop your pinkies getting burnt
                              Plough Your Own Furrow

Comment

Please can someone explain why they have problems filling up root trainers? Me and VVG were stood in a garden centre today trying to work out why people were having problems and if you have the books, the frame and something to stand them on [the lid is dual purpose] they fill easily, and hardly spill any soil when you take the roots out and we just cannot understand why people are having problems with them. The are almost perfect!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X