Where to put tomato plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to put tomato plants

Hi, I have some tomato, pepper,chilli,aubergine plants in a grow tent under a 125w cfl light. They are now the right size to plant out but obviously it's too early. They are all eventually going in the pollytunnel. Where can I put them now before putting them in the ground as I need to move them from the tent. Also when do you recomend putting them out in the tunnel. Any advice is welcome, I just need them out the tent ASAP. Thanks all

Just put them into larger pots and give them as much light as you can. Probably too early to put them in the polytunnel but during this mild weather you could get them more used to cooler conditions.

Comment

Where did you think they were going to go for a month before going into the tunnel?

Comment

With regard to the toms, chilli's and peppers. I would put them on a window sill with tin foil at the back to increase what light there is. Leave them in the small pots until they are nearly root bound. Then pot on placing the root ball in the bottom of the next size container and then filling the container. This will go some way to combating the leggey plants that you will have.

If you pot on to early this will encourage growth which is what you are trying to avoid at this stage.

Sorry can't help with the aub's as I have never grown them

Colin
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

the age old problem of sowing too early for the waeather and the space available. You can't put them outside, they will probably die, or if not die, their growth will be checked.
          You'll just have to keep them as they were, and learn your lesson for next year
          they can go in the polytunnel probably a month befoe you'd put them outside, but still be prepared for losses due to cold.

Comment

Thanks all, yes I know I sowed too early. I must sit on my hands for at least a few more weeks next year. I can't keep my hands out the seed tin lol.

Comment

^ lol indeed

I've only just sown my first toms and chillies. Me too, learned the hard way
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Join the club, I don't think there is a person here who hasn't let it get the better of them
                My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

I think we must all hold our hands up to that one.

Colin
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy_uk View Post
                    Join the club, I don't think there is a person here who hasn't let it get the better of them
                    Not me, I've been perfect..............................................apart from - just about everything

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X